Steven M. Gerenraich is a partner and business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. His practice focuses in the areas of mergers & acquisitions (M&A), private equity and venture capital, joint venture and other commercial transactions, with particular experience in energy, construction, health care, health care related companies, and the food industry. Mr. Gerenraich is a member of the firm’s Transactional & Securities and Private Equity & Venture Capital Practices as well as the Energy, Health Care, and Food & Beverage Industry Teams.
Mr. Gerenraich has extensive experience in a wide range of industries, including construction, renewable energy, financial services, transportation, metal recycling, manufacturing and consumer products, where he has represented public and privately held companies, private equity funds, investment banking firms, entrepreneurs and other interested parties in mergers, sales, acquisitions, 363 sales and other distressed acquisitions, reorganizations, management buyouts and other restructurings, as well as private placements, venture capital transactions and other equity and debt financings.
Mr. Gerenraich also represents companies, both public and private in connection with a variety of day-to-day legal and business issues, including securities law compliance, corporate governance, supply agreements, sales representative agreements, licensing arrangements, employment agreements, consulting agreements and purchase arrangements, as well as more complex commercial arrangements such as joint ventures and other strategic alliances.
Representative matters include the following:
Construction, Energy, and Materials
- Represented leading global supplier of support software and services to the energy transportation industry in sale to publicly traded company.
- Represented U.S. based private equity firm in acquisition of one of the largest U.S. private construction contractors, including government contracting and security clearance matters.
- Represented U.S. based private equity firm in connection with acquisition of hydro-excavation platform company and follow-up growth acquisitions.
- Represented large U.S. based raw materials processing and handling corporation in acquisition of coke processing facility in bankruptcy.
- Represented leading provider of engineering, procurement and construction services to the renewable energy and fossil fuel generation industry in North America in acquisition of renewable energy and construction contractor.
- Represented a UK based metal recycling firm in connection with its U.S. acquisitions and implementation of its U.S. growth strategy, including strategic alliances and joint ventures with local producers.
Health Care Industry
- Represented the debtor estate in the sale of the Allegheny Health, Education and Research Foundation, the largest nonprofit healthcare bankruptcy in U.S. history.
- Represented underwriters in 501(c)(3) financings for several major U.S. health systems.
- Represented management companies in the investment and restructuring of physician-owned hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers.
- Represented private equity firm in the purchase of medical device manufacturer.
- Represented health care management and consulting business in acquisition of perioperative and anesthesia services firm.
Food and Beverage Industry
- Represented creditors committee in connection with the sale of beef and pork processing businesses in side by side bankruptcy auction process.
- Represented management in connection with a leveraged buyout of wholesale baked goods company.
- Represents specialty coffee manufacturer in connection with corporate restructuring and financing matters.
- Represents publicly traded co-packer in connection with contract and other on-going general corporate matters.
- Represents investor group in connection with ownership interest in regional fast-casual chain.
- Represented private equity fund in acquisition of organic and specialty food product business.
Other Representative Matters
- Represented buyers (an affiliated group consisting of U.S., Canadian, and Mexican entities) in the purchase of railroad rolling stock, consisting of several hundred railcars and locomotives, related equipment and components and leases of rolling stock not owned by the seller.
- Represented U.S. boutique investment bank in connection with a merger with an Australian based global financial services provider.
- Represented a U.S.-based manufacturer of hair care products in a sale to an Indian based consumer products conglomerate.
Prior to joining Foley, Mr. Gerenraich practiced with Freeborn & Peters. He was also a sales and marketing coordinator for Chrysler in Taiwan for more than three years.
Mr. Gerenraich is a magna cum laude graduate of the University of Illinois Law School (1996). His bachelor of arts degree was awarded, with honors, by the University of Michigan in 1989.
Mr. Gerenraich lived in Taiwan for four years and speaks Mandarin Chinese.