Peter A. Tomasi is of counsel and a business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP, where he is a member of the firm’s Environmental Regulation Practice. His practice focuses on regulatory compliance and renewable energy. Peter has further experience with general civil, commercial, and intellectual property litigation.
- Representation of logistics providers and reverse distributors in rulemaking and enforcement matters involving hazardous waste pharmaceuticals
- Assisting clients with obtaining environmental permits from state, federal, and tribal agencies for mining operations as well as assisting clients in developing reclamation and general compliance plans
- Representation of clients in citizen suits brought under the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act against utility and manufacturing facilities
- Assisting clients in preparing comments on federal regulations issued under the Clean Air Act, the Resource Conservation and Restoration Act, and the National Energy Policy Conservation Act
- Defending the adequacy of environmental assessments and environmental impact statements prepared in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and the Wisconsin Environmental Policy Act (WEPA)
- Providing ongoing consultation and advice to coal, biomass, and gas fired facilities regarding day-to-day compliance with the requirements of the New Source Review program, the New Source Performance Standards, the Title IV Acid Rain program and future greenhouse gas regulatory requirements
- Assisting clients with sustainability reporting, including developing its first carbon management and climate change strategy, and revising annual Climate Disclosure Project submissions
- Advising clients regarding environmental and regulatory concerns relating to the construction and operation of renewable energy projects including biomass, solar and wind energy, including providing due diligence to lenders and tax equity investors for two wind farms, which also included an evaluation of the need for and completeness of efforts to obtain relevant federal, state, and local approvals
*These matters were handled prior to Foley.
Peter has been listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business from 2011 – 2020 for his work with natural resources and environmental law. He has been listed in Best Lawyers® from 2010 – 2017 for his work in environmental law, as well as being recognized as the “Lawyer of the Year” in Milwaukee by Best Lawyers® for his work with energy law (2018). He has also been selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars (2008–2012).
Peter is a member of the American Bar Association, as well as a board member for the Milwaukee Academy of Science. He is also the chair-elect for the Wisconsin Bar Association.
Peter earned his law and master’s degrees from Duke University (J.D., cum laude and M.E.M., 2001), where he was the symposium editor for the Duke Environmental Law and Policy Forum. He earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of Chicago (B.A., cum laude, 1997), where he majored in chemistry.
Peter is admitted to practice in Wisconsin, Illinois, the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, the U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.