Philip (Phil) B. Phillips counsels and represents business clients across the country in all aspects of labor and employment law, including employment discrimination and harassment claims, ADA and FMLA claims and compliance, FLSA wage and hour claims and compliance, non-competition and trade secrets matters, collective bargaining, and labor arbitrations. He is the former managing partner of the firm’s Detroit office and a member of the firm’s Labor & Employment Practice and Automotive Industry Team. Phil also serves on the firm’s Management Committee.
Phil regularly represents clients before administrative agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, National Labor Relations Board, Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, U.S. Department of Labor, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and numerous state agencies. He has successfully handled arguments before the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, the Michigan Court of Appeals, and numerous courts across the country.
Phil is a frequent speaker on labor and employment law topics.
Before joining Foley, Philip was an associate at a major Detroit-based law firm and also served as an assistant prosecuting attorney with the Saginaw County (Michigan) Prosecutor’s Office.
- Representation of Tier I automotive supplier in FLSA wage and hour collective action.
- Representation of major retailer in ADA accessibility compliance class action.
- Representation of Tier I automotive supplier in age discrimination and promotion class action.
- Representation of Tier I automotive supplier in age discrimination RIF collective action.
- Representation of supplier in multi-plaintiff harassment case.
Awards and Recognition
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Michigan Super Lawyers® (2012 – 2016)
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Litigation – Labor and Employment (2013 – 2024) and Employment Law – Management (2017 – 2022, 2024)
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Federal Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- Wolverine Bar Association