Chanley T. Howell is a partner and intellectual property lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP, where his practice focuses on a broad range of technology law matters. He is a member of the firm's Technology Transactions, Cybersecurity, and Privacy Practice and the Sports, Health Care and Automotive Industry Teams.
Chanley represents companies in a variety of technology law areas, such as:
- Data Privacy and Security Compliance – Counsel and advise clients with respect to compliance with data privacy and security laws requirements and obligations, including federal privacy laws (Gramm-Leach-Bliley, HIPAA, telemedicine / telehealth); consumer protection / marketing laws (TCPA, CAN-SPAM, COPPA); FTC privacy requirements, investigations and enforcement actions; state data privacy, security and breach notification laws; artificial intelligence / AI issues; EU Privacy Shield compliance and certification; regulatory risk assessment and compliance audits; privacy and information security policies; records retention, destruction and management policies
- Software Agreements – Software licensing, software support and maintenance; joint development, IT professional and consulting services; software license audits and disputes
- Technology Agreements – IT outsourcing; EHR (electronic health record) system agreements; ERP licensing, acquisition and implementation agreements; telemedicine/telehealth related agreements and policies; artificial intelligence / AI related agreements; patent, copyright and trademark licenses; joint development and marketing agreements; telecommunications agreements; technology acquisition and distribution agreements; IT/IP due diligence for mergers and acquisitions
- Internet – Online and electronic contracts and agreements, ESIGN and electronic signature issues, telemedicine / telehealth, ecommerce and online transactions, domain names, website terms and conditions, privacy policies, social media policies
While Chanley handles these types of engagements across all industries, he has particular expertise in the health care, telemedicine / telehealth, financial services, automotive, and hospitality industries.
"Foley is the premier firm for telehealth counsel."
"A market leader in telemedicine issues." "This is the Dream Team."
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers (2020, 2021)
- Artificial Intelligence. Representing +$15 billion health system in connection with its enterprise-wide AI and generative AI strategies and initiatives, including legal and regulatory compliance, AI governance, and policies.
- Artificial Intelligence. Representing +$10 billion consumer online entertainment services company in connection with its enterprise-wide AI and generative AI strategies and initiatives, including legal and regulatory, compliance, AI governance, policies, and commercial agreements.
- Mergers & Acquisitions. Information technology, cybersecurity, and privacy subject matter expert for $25 billion company in acquisition of technology and legal compliance target.
- E-Motorcycles. Online terms and conditions, privacy policies, and legal compliance for the worldwide marketing and sale of electric motorcycles, including connected bike data and telemetry issues for $2 billion e-motorcycle manufacturer.
- Artificial Intelligence and Contract Lifecycle Management. Advising $45 billion international fire, HVAC, and security equipment manufacturer for its enterprise-wide procurement contract lifecycle management program, including use of extractive and generative AI technologies and solutions.
- Bitcoin Mining. General broad-based representation of $2 billion bitcoin mining company, including technology transactions, licensing, intellectual property protection and enforcement, real estate development, and legal compliance.
- Autonomous Driving. Representing innovative start-up in connection with the commercialization and licensing of LiDAR-based Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) technology, including potential investments by +30 billion leader in the autonomous driving industry.
- E-Commerce Initiative. Assisting +1 billion diversified industrial manufacturing and logistics company with developing and commercializing an online ecommerce marketplace for the trucking and semi-trailer transportation industry.
- Peer review rated as AV Preeminent®, the highest performance rating in the Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ system
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Electronic Discovery and Information Management Law (2021 - 2024)
- Recognized, The Legal 500 for his work in technology: data protection and privacy (2011 - 2014, 2016)
- Recognized, Jacksonville's "Top Lawyers" by 904 Magazine (2014)
- Webinar, “Simplifying Contract Drafting: Leveraging Legal Technology for Ease and Efficiency,” sponsored by myLawCLE (September 8, 2023)
- Presentation for certain clients – various dates – “Developing a Legally Compliance AI Governance Program"
- Foley & Lardner Training program – “AI Regulation and Framework” (July 19, 2023)
- Presentation for MEMA, "The Vehicle Suppliers Association - AI Legal Risks and Compliance Status and Trends" (July 18, 2023)
- University of Florida College of Law (J.D., 1988)
- Vanderbilt University (B.A., cum laude, 1985)
- Former chairman, Alumni Board
- Former member, Board of Trustees for the Bolles School
Chanley is a certified information privacy professional/US (CIPP/US), certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
- Founder/former chairman, Intellectual Property section of The Jacksonville Bar Association
- Member, Intellectual Property Law and Business Law sections of The Florida Bar
- Member, Intellectual Property and Business Law sections of the American Bar Association
- Member, Intellectual Property and Business Law sections of The Jacksonville Bar Association
- Member, Fourth Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee
- Professional responsibility partner, Foley Jacksonville office