Jamie N. Class is a partner and business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. She advises clients in structuring, negotiating and closing debt financing transactions and restructurings. Jamie has more than 20 years’ experience representing US and global clients as issuers of and investors in debt instruments in a broad variety of debt financing and restructuring transactions.
Jamie is skilled at working with multiple parties to close syndicated secured and unsecured credit facilities, private placements and public offerings of securities, second lien notes, tender offers, exchange offers, consent solicitations, project finance transactions, tax exempt bond financings, acquisition financings, venture debt and convertible notes, and mezzanine financings. Jamie represents clients in debt restructurings, out of court work-outs, and the negotiation of intercreditor and subordination arrangements.
Jamie represents clients in a range of other commercial transactions, including derivatives transactions, receivables sales, commercial law matters, letters of credits and other credit support arrangements. Jamie has experience in lien and collateral matters, cross border pledge and acquisition financing transactions and complex debt matters. She also counsels clients on general corporate law matters.
Jamie works with clients in a range of industries, including financial services, real estate investment, life sciences, high tech, emerging energy technology, healthcare, retail and manufacturing.
Syndicated Loans, Public and Private Placements
- Represented a real estate investment trust in unsecured institutional credit facilities and swap transactions
- Represented a private client in structuring and negotiating a secured margin loan facility
- Represented a publicly traded pharmaceutical company in issuing short term debt, a long term credit facility and unsecured notes, as well as in receivables sales, ISDA master agreements and Dodd-Frank compliance matters
- Closed the contemporaneous issuance of a senior secured credit facility and the public offering of second lien secured and unsecured bonds
- Represented a manufacturing company in closing an institutional credit facility, a 144A note offering and amendments of existing note facilities
Represented a financial services company in closing a senior secured acquisition credit facility to purchase a publicly traded UK company
- Represented a client in refinancing the term loan B and cross border guaranty and pledge arrangements in connection with tax restructuring arrangements following an acquisition
- Represented a high tech client in connection with acquisition financing for a private target and related swap transactions
Asset Based Lending
Represented venture funds in securing financing secured by capital call obligations
- Represented clients in receivables financing and true sales transactions
- Represented clients in traditional asset based loans
Venture Loans, Bridge Loans
Represented clients in issuing and investing in convertible notes and closing venture debt transactions
Represented a public company in connection with the issuance of $25 million of tax exempt bonds, and in refinancing to reset interest period
- Represented client in the issuance of variable interest rate tax exempt bonds backed by letter of credit
- Represented client in the issuance of tax exempt bonds issued in a term interest rate period
- Represented clients in project financings of manufacturing facilities funded by federal government loans, loan guarantees and grant programs designed to promote alternative energy technology
- Represented a developer of a water desalination plant in the project financing of a desalination facility in Massachusetts
- Represented a developer in connection with a tax advantaged sale leaseback financing facility to finance solar photovoltaic projects, and in the negotiation of the related site lease, power purchase agreements and project documents
Represented the first lien agent and a committee of secured first lien bondholders in the out of court restructuring of bonds issued by a leading commodities broker, and in consents and waivers after closing relating to broker acquisitions of additional business lines
- Closed the restructuring of senior secured debt, second lien notes and unsecured subordinated notes through a tender offer and consent solicitation, and a new unsecured note offering
- Advised minority bondholder group in an exchange offer for secured first lien notes
- Represented a group of bondholders in the Chapter 11 reorganization of nursing home facilities
*Certain of these matters occurred prior to Jamie joining Foley & Lardner LLP.
Jamie is a member of the American Bar Association, the Massachusetts Bar Association and the Boston Bar Association.
Jamie was recognized in the 2017–2018 editions of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for her banking & finance practice.
J.D., Harvard Law School (1991), cum laude
- B.A., Hampshire College (1985)