Sunny J. Levine is a health care lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP, and member of the firm’s Telemedicine & Digital Health and Health Care Industry Teams working with hospitals and health systems, physician practice groups, and technology companies across the country. Sunny’s practice focuses on federal and state regulatory compliance and business issues in the health care industry. She also works with companies offering highly regulated consumer products, such as medical marijuana and alcohol beverages.
Sunny’s practice includes regulatory compliance issues associated with telemedicine and digital health, and health innovation. She helps companies navigate state and federal laws and regulations governing telemedicine and digital health for multi-state footprints, including state corporate practice of medicine restrictions, forming a valid provider-patient relationship, licensure requirements, telemedicine prescribing, and informed consent.
Selected, representative matters include:
- Asynch Direct to Consumer: Advised a start-up company providing nationwide telehealth services through a direct-to-consumer, asynchronous (store & forward) telemedicine platform. Drafted suite of operational contracts and documents for company, including professional service agreements, privacy agreements, technology agreements, and patient-facing materials. Provided guidance on state-specific laws and regulations on prescribing weight loss and lifestyle medications via telemedicine
- Digital Ocular Health: Advised ophthalmology and optometry groups on federal and state vision laws, including co-location requirements and fraud abuse issues
- Telemedicine Legislative Tracking: Advised an academic medical center on pending or newly enacted telemedicine laws, regulations, and regulating board policies throughout the U.S., and U.S. territories (Guam, Puerto Rico)
- “Direct Primary Care: Not insurance,” Hillsborough County Bar Association Lawyer Magazine, (March - April, 2019)
- “Florida Medical Marijuana System for Physicians,” University of South Florida, Morsani College of Public Health, Law and Medicine Scholarly Concentration (April 9, 2018)
- “Medical Marijuana 101 for Florida’s Healthcare System,” The Florida Bar, Health Law Section, (March 13, 2018)
- “Medical Marijuana 101 for Florida’s Healthcare System,” Hillsborough County Bar Association, Health Care Law Section (December 6, 2017)
- Sunny is a graduate of Stetson University College of Law (J.D., cum laude), where she was a notes & comments editor for the Stetson Law Review and served on the Philip C. Jessup International Moot Court Competition team.
- She graduated from Florida International University (B. A., magna cum laude)
Sunny is admitted to practice in Florida.