Cross-border dispute resolution from the client’s perspective.
Transformational shifts in the way the world does business have led to a hyper-globalized economy dependent on strategic investments outside of national borders. During the life cycle of a project, you may be faced with a complex, cross-border dispute that requires innovative solutions.
Our International Arbitration team has guided clients from inception through final award of their most important international disputes. We have deep bench strength in numerous industry sectors including energy, manufacturing, and technology that allows us to take a holistic approach to your dispute and provide dispute resolution strategies that are responsive to your company’s needs.
Our team has handled commercial and investment arbitrations under major international arbitration rules, including ICSID, AAA, JAMS, ICC, ICDR, and UNCITRAL, to name a few. With multilingual team members across the Americas, including key arbitral centers like Houston, Mexico City, Miami, New York, and Washington, D.C., we are well-positioned to serve as your international arbitration counsel.
- Represented agricultural manufacturer against former global distributor in multimillion dollar arbitration involving breach of contract and anti-competitive claims that went to final hearing.
- Represented hydroelectric power plant owner in matter against developer and contractor of the power plant for breach of procurement engineering and construction contract.
- Represented global communications company against national telecommunications company in a multibillion dollar litigation concerning a breach of a telecommunication services contract.
- Represented a U.S oil production company in a US$75 million LCIA arbitration against a South American state.
- Represented a U.S. engineering and construction company in a US$45 million joint venture dispute against an Indian manufacturer in connection with the construction of a solar power plant in India.
- Represented utility-scale solar provider in an ICC arbitration against the seller and manufacturer of solar photovoltaic modules based on chronic and systemic performance issues with the modules.
- Representing the Republic of Ecuador in an international arbitration under the Canada – Ecuador Bilateral Investment Treaty, prevailing on all claims in a US$75 million dispute.
- Represented a global energy company in licensing dispute with South American entity in case concerning intellectual property issues subject to AAA arbitration.
- Successfully resolved a breach of contract action, including settlement of punitive damages, in an AAA arbitration against a large software company for failure to provide operable software to a manufacturer of luxury motor coaches.
- Represented a Japanese pharmaceutical company in an ICC arbitration related to patents directed to molding equipment. This arbitration involved resolution of issues of infringement and validity, trade secret protection, and contract interpretation under both U.S. and Japanese law, and a “seizure” procedure under Japanese law.
- Represented a Tier I automotive supplier in a series of contract disputes involving, collectively, in excess of US$75 million.
- Represented a Japanese tire company in an ICC dispute in connection with a breach of partnership agreement.
- Represented a French insurance company in JAMS arbitration in a dispute with the sellers of an American company following the client’s acquisition of that company.
- Served as international arbitration counsel in a US$28 million ICC arbitration in connection with a breach of contract claim by a Singapore customer against a U.S. paper manufacturer.
- Served as international arbitration counsel in a US$15 million ICDR arbitration in connection with a breach of contract arbitration in New York between a German manufacturer and U.S. client.
- Represented a U.S. auto parts supplier in an SIAC arbitration related to a trade secret misappropriation claim.
- Served as international arbitration counsel in an ICC arbitration regarding a $5.9 million windfarm construction defect claim by a U.S. manufacturer against Indian manufacturer.
- Served as international arbitration counsel in an ICDR arbitration in connection with a construction dispute between a U.S. pipeline owner and Indian gas pipe manufacturer.
- Represented international roofing corporation in Spanish language Panamanian arbitration against developer and general contractor of airport expansion project in a multimillion-dollar breach of contract claim.
- Represented foreign sovereign entity in multiple arbitrations across multiple countries as well a maritime attachment proceeding in the Southern District of New York against joint venture partner concerning the alleged breach of multiple contracts, successfully arguing the entity was entitled to immunity under Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act.