Neal Moglin is an experienced litigator who regularly represents ceding companies and reinsurers in arbitrations involving life/accident and health, and property/casualty contracts. He has also represented insurers and reinsurers in federal and state courts in New York, Illinois, Texas, Florida, and other jurisdictions. He is chair of the firm’s Insurance & Reinsurance Litigation Practice and a member of the Insurance & Reinsurance Industry Team.
Neal’s representative cases have involved disputes over: efforts by life reinsurers to change the negotiated rates for Yearly Renewable Term contracts; energy and construction reinsurance contracts; aviation bodily injury carve out and workers’ compensation carve out contracts; fronting and pool liability issues; MGA and pool manager disputes; environmental and asbestos losses; medical stop loss contracts; spiral claims; World Trade Center losses; finite reinsurance, and disputes involving traditional and non-traditional life reinsurance products.
Additionally, Neal regularly advises clients on regulatory compliance and risk management issues and assists them in the development of new products and the acquisition and disposition of books of business.
- Vanderbilt University (J.D., with honors, 1988)
- Vanderbilt University (B.A., 1985)
- Member, Vanderbilt University Law Review
- Former co-chair of the Mealeys Reinsurance Summit (2005 - 2007)
- Former co-chair of the Annual Insurance Insolvency & Reinsurance Roundtable (2008 - 2010)
- Spoken at a variety of other industry meetings and events, including the 2009 ARIAS Fall Conference, the 2019 ARIAS Fall Conference, and the 2023 ARIAS Spring Conference
- Reinsurance articles published by Neal include "And Now for Something Completely different: What your English Colleagues Already Know about Mediating Reinsurance Disputes," (ARIAS Quarterly, 2007) and "Achieving Certainty in an International Marketplace," (Journal of Reinsurance, 2007).
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- Member, Illinois Bar
- Member, Trial Bar of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Insurance Law (2020 - 2023)
- Recognized, Leading Lawyer, Illinois by Leading LawyersSM magazine (2020)
- Recognized, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2008 - present)
- Recognized, Leading Lawyer/ Insurance and Reinsurance Hall of Fame by Legal 500 US (2008 - present)
- Recognized, Leading Lawyer by Euromoney Institutional Investor’s Insurance and Reinsurance Expert Guide
- Included in, Who's Who: Legal Insurance & Reinsurance (2008 - present)
- Recipient, Fintech award as the "Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyer of the Year - USA" from Finance Monthly (2019)
- Included in, Illinois Super Lawyers® list for his reinsurance litigation work (2005, 2009)*
*The Illinois Supreme Court does not recognize certifications of specialties in the practice of law and no award or recognition is a requirement to practice law in Illinois.