JillAllison Opell is a partner and insurance lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP and is co-chair of the Health Care & Life Sciences Sector’s Payor Provider Convergence Area of Focus.
JillAllison represents insurers and insurance-related entities in all lines of business, including accident, life and health, property and casualty (including pet), surplus lines, travel and reinsurance. JillAllison also represents private equity funds and other sponsors acquiring and divesting insurers and/or insurance-related entities.
JillAllison’s regulatory experience includes advising clients on Holding Company Act compliance related to acquisitions, intercompany agreements and investment laws, as well as compliance, licensing and Affordable Care Act issues. She has counselled private equity funds, insurers, reinsurers, producers and other insurance industry professionals, helping to solve complex compliance issues, maintain compliance thereafter, obtain transaction approval and develop new products. Always monitoring and analyzing the latest regulatory developments, she frequently counsels clients regarding the implications of state legislative updates and regulatory investigations.
JillAllison advises clients regarding and assists in the preparation of regulatory filings associated with acquisitions of insurance companies, as well as those related to affiliated transactions and other holding company transactions, such as redomestications and demutualizations. Additionally, she has counselled clients on the regulatory landscape related to captive insurance companies.
- Counsel to one of the nation’s largest personal lines and commercial insurance brokers. Handled several significant roll-up deals, including the acquisition of two insurance brokerages for a combined enterprise value exceeding $7 billion.
- Represented government entity in a complicated and contentious transaction (that had been pending for over a year) with respect to the approval of a prominent insurance company’s reorganization and conversion from a mutual insurance company to a stock insurance company, as well as the ultimate acquisition of the converted entity by a sponsor. Hired by the same government entity to represent it on a new sponsored demutualization.
- Acted as global insurance counsel for a multi-billion dollar private equity fund. Provided long-term strategic advice with respect to significant insurance acquisitions. Advised on all insurance M&A matters and acted as strategic counsel for portfolio insurance companies and insurance businesses.
- Acted as insurance counsel in acquisitions of MGAs and similar regulated businesses for a major private equity fund.
- Recognized, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the practice area of Insurance: Transactional & Regulatory (2021, 2022)
JillAllison received her law degree from Fordham University School of Law (J.D., 2000), where she served as notes and articles editor for the Fordham International Law Journal. She obtained her bachelor of arts degree from the University of Pennsylvania (B.A., 1997).
- Co-author, “MGA or Not an MGA … That is the Question,” New York Law Journal, June 3, 2022
- Co-author, “So You Comply with New York Reg. 500: Now What?,” Insurance Journal, April 17, 2019
- Co-author, “3 ways to turbocharge the sale of your insurance business,” PropertyCasualty360, May 26, 2017
- Co-author, “First Steps Under New York's Cyber Rules: Risk Assessment, Policies, Procedures,” Insurance Journal, April 12, 2017
- Co-author, “New York's Cybersecurity Rules: What Insurance Professionals Should Know,” Insurance Journal, March 6, 2017
- “NY's Stricter Insurance M&A Rule May Block Capital Flow,” Law360, June 10, 2014
- “Country Q&A: Insurance and Reinsurance in the United States,” Practical Law Company, PLC Cross-border Insurance and Reinsurance Handbook, 2010
- “Power of Receivership Court: Current & Future Issues” International Association of Insurance Receivers Seventh Technical Developments Series, discussion of interplay of state insurance rehabilitations and federal laws, as well as the interplay of domestic v. foreign states in insurance rehabilitations, October 14, 2020
- “Critical Issues in Cybersecurity: Are you prepared and in compliance?” Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI) ACIC General Counsel Seminar, San Diego, CA, July 27, 2017
- “Critical Policies for Cybersecurity Compliance” Louisiana Insurers' Conference (LIC) Annual Compliance Seminar & Legislative Review, New Orleans, LA, June 22, 2017
- “Examining the Implications of Recent Health Insurance Consolidation, and the Latest Issues Related to the Seeming” Demise of Health Insurance CO-Ops, American Conference Institute's 11th National Forum, March 1, 2016
- Executive Director of the Northeast Board of the Insurance Industry Charitable FoundationMember of the New York City Bar Association, Committee on Insurance Law
Program co-chair, 31st and 32nd Annual Program of “Current Issues in Insurance Regulation,” New York City Bar. The program features regional and national leaders exploring topical issues of importance to the insurance industry, with opportunities for questions and interaction with the faculty, and addresses up-to-the-minute, cutting edge regulatory and other emerging issues affecting the insurance industry and consumers alike, with a focus on New York and national issues.