Susan J. Schwartz is a partner and litigation attorney with Foley & Lardner LLP. Sue focuses her practice on complex commercial litigation. Sue is the former chair of the New York office’s Litigation Department. She is a member of the Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice and the Insurance & Reinsurance Litigation Practice.
Sue was a partner at Friedman, Wang & Bleiberg, P.C. before the firm joined Foley & Lardner in July 2004.
- Represented a credit union service organization that funded student loans for a for-profit school, in connection with coordinated settlements with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, multiple State Attorneys General and the school’s trustee in bankruptcy
- Represented an insurance company in a corporate raid litigation
- Represented a law firm involved in a fee sharing dispute relating to mass tort claims asserted on behalf of 9/11 first responders
- Represented an acquirer of a business in a litigation with its former shareholders concerning the parties’ rights and obligations with respect to certain litigations in which the business was involved
- Represented a lyricist and composer in a dispute with a producer concerning the right to create a Broadway musical based on a motion picture
- Represented a reinsurance company in an action relating to the hiring of several employees who had been at a competitor and who were alleged to have misappropriated trade secrets
- Represented a monoline insurer in a dispute with a residential mortgage loan originator and servicer concerning loan origination, servicing and foreclosure practices
- Represented an insurance company in an arbitration brought by the trustee of several trusts comprised of subprime automobile loans, concerning the terms and conditions of a risk default insurance policy
- Represented a secured creditor in a litigation with the debtor, involving case-within-a-case management, pension plan termination and liquidation of collateral
- Represented a partner in a sunglass company in an arbitration with his partner concerning rights to the company’s intellectual property
Sue received her J.D. from Harvard University (1979) and her B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania (magna cum laude, with honors in literature, 1976), and is a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
Sue is admitted to the New York Bar; U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York; U.S. Court of Appeals, Second and Seventh Circuits; and the U.S. Supreme Court. She is a member of The Association of the Bar of the City of New York.
Sue has been a long-time member of the board of trustees of the Solomon Schechter School of Manhattan.