John J. Wolfel, Jr. is a partner and corporate lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. His practice is focused on corporate and securities laws matters, including mergers and acquisitions and securities law compliance counseling. John has worked on public and private offerings, represented public companies in connection with their periodic reporting to the Securities and Exchange Commission and worked on business combinations for public and private companies. He is a member of the Transactional & Securities Practice.
John has been recognized as one of the top 2010 Up & Coming Attorneys in Florida Trend magazine's Florida Legal Elite™ balloting. He was also selected for inclusion in the 2014 - 2017 Florida Super Lawyers - Rising Stars® lists for his work in securities & corporate finance and business/corporate law.
John obtained his law degree from Florida State University College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2006), where he was elected to the Order of the Coif and served as a member of the Florida State University Law Review. While in law school, John was awarded the American Bankruptcy Institute Medal of Excellence Award. He is also a graduate of the University of West Florida, where he obtained his degree in finance (B.S., magna cum laude, 2002). Prior to joining Foley, John interned at the United States Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Florida.
John is admitted to practice in Florida.
- “Court Allows Buyer to Walk Away From Deal Based on Material Adverse Effect,” Westlaw Journal: Expert Analysis, October 29, 2018
- “Conflict M&A Transactions Create Risk for Buy-Side Directors,” Bloomberg BNA Corporate Law & Accountability Report, August 8, 2018
- “The Changing Landscape of Delaware Appraisal Rights,” Bloomberg BNA’s Securities Regulation & Law Report, November 20, 2017
- “Blocking Director May Not Prevent Bankruptcy Remote Entity From Filing Bankruptcy,” Bloomberg BNA, May 23, 2017
- “Lessons Learned From Dole Foods: What Not to Do When a Controlling Stockholder Wants to Go Private,” Bloomberg BNA: Mergers and Acquisitions Law Report, September 28, 2015
- “Delaware Court Applies ‘Business Judgment’ Test to KKR’s Acquisition of Managed Affiliate,” Westlaw Journal: Corporate Officers & Directors Liability, November 24, 2014
- “Investment banker held liable for flawed Rural/Metro sale process,” Westlaw Journal: Corporate Officers & Directors Liability, March 24, 2014
- “Rescue Merger Shields Countrywide Directors From Shareholder Suits,” Corporate Board Member, November 5, 2013
- “Breach of Confidentiality Agreement Leads Chancery Court to Enjoin Hostile Takeover Bid: Guidance for the Future,” Bloomberg BNA’s Mergers & Acquisitions Law Report, June 11, 2012
- "Wesco Financial ruling has lessons for controlling stockholders in freeze-out transactions," Westlaw Journal: Corporate Officers & Directors Liability, May 23, 2011
- "Delaware Court Provides Guidance on Sale Process, Exclusivity, Conflict Disclosure in Proxy," Delaware Corporate, Westlaw Journal/Thomson Reuters, March 21, 2011
- "The Old Boys Club still rules; Why the Delaware Chancery Court approved Barnes & Noble’s poison pill, even with "grandfather" exemption," CFOZone.com, August 30, 2010
- "New Requirements and Increased Supervision Over Economic Stimulus and Bailout Funds May Increase Potential False Claims Act Liability for Recipients," Foley & Lardner LLP Legal News Alert: Financial Crisis Response Team, April 29, 2010 and Financial Fraud Law Report, July/August 2009
- "Del. Court Upholds Low-Threshold Poison Pill to Protect NOLs," Delaware Corporate Litigation Reporter, March 22, 2010
- "SEC Issues Final Rules on Interactive Data to Improve Financial Reporting (XBRL)," Foley & Lardner LLP Legal News Alert: Transactional & Securities, February 9, 2009
- "SEC Adopts Proposed Rules Requiring Financial Statements to Be Filed in XBRL Format and Extends Timetable for Compliance," Foley & Lardner LLP Legal News Alert: Transactional & Securities, December 19, 2008
- "Certain Shelf Registration Statements to Expire December 1, 2008," Foley & Lardner LLP Legal News Alert: Transactional & Securities, October 23, 2008
- "SEC Issues Emergency Rules Regarding Short Selling and Stock Repurchases," Foley & Lardner LLP Legal News Alert: Transactional & Securities, September 19, 2008
- "SEC Approves Another One-Year Extension for Smaller Companies for SOX 404(b) Auditor Attestation Requirement," Foley & Lardner LLP Legal News Alert: Transactional & Securities, June 27, 2008