Partner Matthew Murer spoke at the Life Services Network (LSN) Annual Convention & Expo, April 2 – 4, 2008 in Chicago, Illinois.
Mr. Murer spoke:
April 3, 2008
8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Session titled: “They Never Told Me There Would Be Days Like This” – Addressing Challenging Families.” Topics covered included:
- Describe the top three areas of stress caused by families in aging services.
- Implement an escalating approach to address issues raised by families.
- Understand the limitations on a community, as well as the tools available to a community, in dealing with these issues.
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Session titled: “Code Red! – Responding to Emergencies in Senior Housing and LTC.” Topics covered included:
- Understand how different response policies can increase or reduce a community’s liability.
- Recognize the implications of implementing measures such as Automatic External Defibrillators (AEDs).
- Outline the various advanced directives under Illinois law and what to do with them.
- Draft an effective policy on emergency response that is appropriate for the community.
2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Session titled: “Wheel of Misfortune – The Survey Edition.” Topics covered included:
- Come see your industry peers play the hottest game today – Wheel of Misfortune.
- Compete for fabulous prizes by answering questions regarding the survey process.
- Identify potential immediate jeopardy situations and develop an action plan for dealing with them.
- Manage the survey process to minimize penalties and avoid costly mistakes.
- Identify the top ten problems that facilities make in the survey process and how to avoid them.
3:45 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.
Session titled: “Fair Housing in Action -“Oh No, You Didn’t Say That.” Topics covered included:
- Understand what types of inquiries are allowed and which are prohibited under the Fair Housing Act.
- Audit your own marketing materials and practices to determine possible liability under the Fair Housing Act.
- Train marketing staff on how to present community information in a way that is consistent with the Fair Housing Act.
April 4, 2008
Mr. Murer spoke with Betsy Anderson, Vice President and Terry Cichon, CPA, Senior Manager and Director of Healthcare Operations, FR&R Healthcare Consulting, Ltd. Their session was titled: “A Collaborative Approach to Operational Crisis.” Topic covered included:
- Identify potential operational crises and understand mechanisms for dealing with them.
- Prepare yourself to deal with financial pressures from lenders, investors and the board of directors.
- Establish processes and relationships for dealing with regulatory oversight organizations.
For more information, please visit LSN’s Web site.