Thomas B. Spillane, Jr. is a partner and business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. A seasoned business counselor, his practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, domestic and international joint ventures, restructuring transactions, bankruptcy acquisitions, executive compensation planning, director representation, project finance transactions and general corporate representation of public and private companies in a variety of industries, including automotive, technology, aerospace, real estate development, energy, casinos and health care. Thomas is former co-chair of the firm’s Automotive Industry Team, and a member of the Transactional & Securities, Private Equity & Venture Capital and International Practices, as well as the Health Care Industry Team.
Thomas combines years of corporate legal representation along with his background as a certified public accountant at a Big 4 accounting firm, to advise clients on the appropriate structure and tax aspects of acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and management incentive compensation plans.
His vast business, transactional and joint venture experience includes the representation of numerous U.S., European and Asian automotive suppliers; private equity funds; real estate developers in commercial, industrial and retail developments; physician practices; senior executives in compensation arrangements and casino operators.
托马斯·斯皮兰是美国富理达律师事务所 (Foley & Lardner LLP）的合伙人以及商业律师。作为一个经验丰富的商业顾问，主要从事合并和收购,国内和国际合资企业,重组交易, 破产收购,高管薪酬计划,总监代理,项目融资交易,以及私人和上市公司一般法律事务的代理，涉及领域包括汽车、科技、航空航天、房地产开发、能源、赌场、和卫生保健。斯皮兰先生是本所汽车行业部门的前联席主席，同时也是本所交易证券部，私人股权和风险资本部，国际部，以及卫生保健行业团队的成员。
斯皮兰先生已经被同行评为AV®卓越™, Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review rating system中的最高表现级别。他获选包括进2009-2016的密歇根超级律师®列表，并被认可为密歇根前100名超级律师®之一。
- Acquisition of large global Tier 1 automotive supplier, including management of international aspects of transaction
- Represent private equity funds on U.S. and international automotive transactions
- Acquisition of a company in the energy industry representing management and its co-investment with a private equity fund
- Sale of global automotive supplier company to a private equity fund
- Acquisition of several companies in aerospace and government contractors
- Sale of food distribution company
- Casino joint venture ($1B), including handling, development, management and licensing matters
- Sale of several companies to Chinese buyers
- Numerous joint ventures between physicians and hospitals, surgery centers and physician practice management companies
- Joint venture for construction of a stadium project
- Creation and unwinding of a strategic global joint venture for two large automotive suppliers
- Over 150 acquisition, sale and joint venture transactions of companies valued from $10-200 million involving buy-out funds or strategic industry buyers
- Numerous private placement offerings to raise equity or debt for a wide range of healthcare, real estate and technology companies
- Regularly represents senior executives and management groups in negotiating executive compensation and equity arrangements in acquisitions, divestitures, going private and restructuring transactions
Awards and Recognition
Thomas has been Peer Review Rated as AV Preeminent®, the highest performance rating in Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ system. He has been selected for inclusion in the 2009 – 2017 Michigan Super Lawyers® lists as well as recognized as one of the Top 100 Michigan Super Lawyers®. He was also selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Corporate Law (2018-2022).
Thomas is a former chairperson of the Business Entities Committee and the Partnership Committee of the State Bar of Michigan. Thomas is a member of the American Bar Association, State Bar of Michigan, the American Institute of CPAs, the Michigan Association of CPAs and the Original Equipment Suppliers Association.
Thomas serves on the board of directors for Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
Publications and Presentations
Thomas is a frequent author and lecturer on mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring, commercial contract matters and executive compensation arrangements.