Raj Tanden represents clients in tax matters across a broad spectrum of domestic and cross-border transactions, with extensive experience in cross-border private credit funds. He also has over 30 years of experience in M&A transactions. Raj is a senior tax partner and chair of the firm’s Investment Management Tax Practice, as well as chair of the New England and Southern California Tax Practices. In addition, Raj manages the tax aspects of the firm’s securitization practice.
Raj is a fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel, comprised of the leading 700 tax lawyers nationwide, and of the American Bar Foundation, which consists of the top one percent of lawyers in each state.
- Comvest Partners: a Florida middle market credit fund sponsor
- Five Elms Capital: a Midwest growth equity fund sponsor
- iCapital Network: an alternative investment marketplace with over US$150 billion in platform assets
- Monroe Capital: a Chicago credit asset management firm
- PennantPark: a Miami middle market credit fund sponsor
- Trilogy Real Estate Group: a Chicago alternative investment fund sponsor specializing in real estate
Awards and Recognition
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Tax Law (2009, 2017-2024)
- Listed in Southern California Super Lawyers®
- Member, Executive Committee of the USC Tax Institute
- Past chair, American Bar Association (ABA) Tax Section Investment Management Committee
Raj is an avid cyclist. He has completed the 2019 AIDS/LifeCycle Ride, a 545-mile/7-day bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles to raise funds for the life-saving services offered by the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the Los Angeles LGBT Center, and the Pan-Mass Challenge, a 200-mile/2-day ride through central Massachusetts to the Provincetown (Cape Cod) to raise funds for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Raj has also climbed the Haleakala volcano on Maui on numerous occasions: an over 10,000 ft. climb!
Presentations and Publications
Raj has authored numerous articles and speaks for the ABA, American Law Institute, NYU Federal Tax Institute, Practising Law Institute, and USC Tax Institute.