Geoff Bracken's litigation practice emphasizes commercial, construction, copyright infringement, wrongful death and personal injury disputes, in particular disputes related to oil and gas exploration and production. He has represented individuals and businesses in both personal injury and commercial litigation matters in trials, on appeals, and, increasingly, in arbitration proceedings.
Geoff has tried in excess of 65 cases – including 25 reported cases, and conducted numerous domestic and international arbitrations. He represents employers, individuals and business entities, both public and private. His representative clients include:
- Baker Hughes Incorporated
- Live Nation Inc.
- Dril-Quip Inc.
- Precision Drilling Co. LP
- NCI Building Systems Inc.
- Perry Homes LLC
- M-I Swaco
- Smith International Inc. (now a subsidiary of Schlumberger)
- Sony Music Entertainment
- UMG Recordings Inc.
- Amegy Bank, National Association
Most of Geoff’s clients are Texas-based, and he has represented them throughout the United States.
Geoff serves as chair of the firm's Energy Litigation Practice and as the Denver Office Managing Partner.
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section
- Entertainment and Sports Law Section
- Litigation Section
- Fellow, American Bar Association
- Fellow, Houston Bar Association
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Member, International Association of Drilling Contractors
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Director, The Children’s Museum of Houston
- Director, Profectum Foundation
Honors & Awards
- Recognized, The Best Lawyers® in America (Steven Naifeh & Gregory White Smith eds., Woodward/White Inc.)
- Oil & Gas Law (2007-2018)
- Commercial Litigation (2016-2018)
- Recognized, Texas Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters business, as published in Texas Super Lawyers Magazine
- Top 100: Texas Super Lawyers® (2015, 2017)
- Top 100: Houston Super Lawyers® (2014-2017)
- Business Litigation (2005-2017)
- Civil Litigation Defense (each year since 2005)
- General Litigation (each year since 2005)
- Recognized, Who's Who in Energy, Houston Business Journal (2011, 2012, 2015)
- Recognized, Houston’s Professional on the Fast Track, H Texas Magazine
- Recognized, AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell® PEER REVIEW RATINGS™
- J.D., University of Houston Law Center, (1984)
- B.A., Dartmouth College, (1981), cum laude
- Texas (1984)
- Texas State Courts (1984)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits
- Colorado (2016)