Monica Call is a partner in the Litigation Department at Foley & Lardner LLP. Monica is based in the Salt Lake City office, where she is a member of the firm’s Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice Group. She focuses her practice on commercial contract, business tort, antitrust and unfair competition, intellectual property, securities, professional liability, and corporate governance disputes.
Monica has experience successfully representing clients in complex litigation in state and federal courts and in arbitration. Monica litigates license agreement, trademark, and patent disputes and has also assisted clients with internal investigations. She has successfully represented clients in employment disputes involving covenants not to compete and nondisclosure obligations.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Represented clients in federal and state courts in cases concerning various types of contracts including disputes over partnership agreements, real estate agreements, purchase agreements, franchise agreements, license agreements, and vendor agreements. Succeeded in briefing and arguing motions that either disposed of claims or prompted favorable settlements.
- Defended clients in business tort litigation including allegations of fraud, misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, unfair competition, tortious interference, and RICO violations.
- Represented clients in partnership and corporate control disputes.
- Represented charitable trusts and foundations in a FINRA arbitration.
- Secured dismissal of claims against corporate executives in contract and business tort disputes in federal and state courts.
- Represented clients in various intellectual property disputes including litigation over patents, license agreements, trademarks, and trade secrets.
- Successfully defended against preliminary injunctions in federal and state courts.
Antitrust & Unfair Competition
- Represented clients in state and federal courts in high-stakes litigation alleging violations of Sections 1 and 2 of Sherman Act and similar state statutes and unfair competition.
- Represented clients in responding to government investigations involving claims of antitrust, consumer protection, and unfair competition.
- Defended a regional law firm and lawyer in legal malpractice actions. Obtained dismissal of all claims in the first action. After prevailing on several important summary judgment rulings, the second case settled on favorable terms.
- Represented officers and directors in a breach of fiduciary duties case.
- Conducted internal corporate investigations for public and non-profit corporations concerning matters of state and federal law.
- Assisted clients in developing compliance plans to minimize future risks.
- Defended companies, officers, and directors in securities class action and shareholder derivative suits involving allegations of fraud in federal court. Obtained dismissals with prejudice.
- Represented individuals and entities under investigation or subpoenaed by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Represented corporations and individuals in disputes involving non-compete agreements and breach of non-disclosure obligations.
- Succeeded in obtaining preliminary injunctions.
- Defended construction company against breach of contract allegations brought by a secured creditor of a subcontractor. Obtained dismissal of all claims in federal and state court cases and in AAA arbitration.
- Defended a municipality against Section 1983 claims in federal court. Obtained dismissal of all claims and successfully defended the dismissal on appeal to the 10th Circuit.
- Defended adoptive parents in a case brought by birthfather in federal court. Secured dismissal of all claims.
*Certain of these matters were handled prior to joining Foley.
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Intellectual Property) (2022)
- Listed in Mountain States Super Lawyers® (Business Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation, Professional Liability, Employment Litigation: Defense) (2013–2022)
- Named by Mountain States Super Lawyers® as one of the Top 50 Women Lawyers (2014 & 2020)
- Listed in Utah Business Legal Elite (Civil Litigation) (2015–2018, 2020)
- Listed among Rising StarsSM, Mountain States Super Lawyers® (2009–2012)
- Selected as Fellow by the Litigation Counsel of America (2014–present)
- International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy, Stanford University (2011)
- E. Randolph Williams Award for “Outstanding Pro Bono Service” (2005–2006)
- Speaker, “Making it Count: Being the Only Woman in the Room,” YWCA Utah, Young Women’s Leadership Summit, Salt Lake City, Utah (March 6, 2020)
- Speaker, “Strategies for Responding to Government Investigations and Enforcement Actions,” Seattle Chapter of the CFO Leadership Council, Seattle, Washington (May 17, 2018)
- Speaker, “Lessons Learned from Opie Taylor, Walter White, and Cyndi Lauper: How the Recent Developments in the Attorney-Client Privilege and Work Product Doctrine Will Impact Your Practice,” Utah Summer Bar Convention, San Diego, California (July 7, 2016)
- Speaker, “New Year, New Rules: Making Sense of Utah’s New Rules on Civil Procedure,” Salt Lake City, Utah (February 2, 2012)
- Speaker, “Agreeing to Arbitrate--Tips for Pre-Dispute Arbitration Agreements,” The Enterprise (October 12–18, 2009)
- Coauthor, “Signing Your Privacy Away?: Privacy in the Petition Process,” IADC Privacy Project Volume IV (2011)
- Trustee, Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake (2019–present)
- Mentor, YWCA Utah YWEmpowered Program (2018–2021)
- Volunteer, National Charity League (2021)
- Co-Chair, Stanford Law School Salt Lake City Chapter, 2012–2021, Ex-Officio Member of Stanford Law School Board of Visitors
- Trustee, Tracy Aviary Board of Trustees, 2008–2016, Chair of Governance Committee and Member of Executive Committee
- Board Member, C Street Child Development Center Advisory Board (2010–2011)
- Stanford Law School (JD, 2004)
- Assistant Managing Editor, Stanford Law & Policy Review
- Editor, Stanford Environmental Law Journal
- University of Utah (BS, magna cum laude, 2001)
- Honors at Entrance scholarship
- University of Utah Women’s Club scholarship
- Hinckley Institute of Politics Citizenship Award (1999)
- Member, Trial Law Institute
- Member, Diversity Law Institute
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Utah State Bar, Litigation Section
- Member, Virginia State Bar
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third, Ninth and Tenth Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Utah and the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia