Lauren P. Carboni is an associate with Foley & Lardner LLP. She is based in the firm’s Denver office. Lauren is a member of the Foley Health Care Industry Team and the Foley Cannabis Industry Team, focusing on health care and cannabis regulatory and litigation matters.
As both a health care regulatory attorney and litigator, Lauren brings a unique perspective to counseling clients with respect to business strategy, fraud and abuse protection, regulatory compliance matters, and investigation defense. Lauren’s experience includes advising clients on a variety of complex federal and state regulatory requirements and strategies including response to, and compliance with, investigations and audits undertaken by federal and state regulatory and enforcement agencies and administrative litigation. Lauren is also well versed in issues relating to referral-source contracting and regularly provides advice regarding financial arrangements for many types of entities including health care systems and hospitals.
Lauren’s practice also includes advising commercial hemp and cannabis clients throughout the United States on licensing and regulatory compliance.
Lauren has been named to the Colorado Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars lists (2017-2020) which recognizes the top 2.5 percent of Colorado lawyers under 40.
In 2017, Lauren was selected as a Trial Lawyer of the Year Finalist by Public Justice for her representation of an incarcerated individual challenging his conditions of confinement and access to medical care.
Lauren is active in the community and committed to providing pro bono services. She serves on the board of the Chanda Center for Health, a nonprofit health center that seeks to improve the quality of life for individuals with long-term physical disabilities by providing population-competent care.
Lauren is also a founding member of the Colorado Lawyers Committee, Young Lawyers Division and currently serves as co-chair of Legal Night, a bi-monthly legal clinic provided at no cost to individuals in need in the Denver community.
Lauren is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association and the Colorado Bar Association, Health Law Section.
- Co-author, “A Target on Telehealth: Government Action Against Telehealth Fraud in the Wake of COVID-19,” American Health Law Association (July 14, 2021)
- Co-author, “Latest Open Payments Data Released Under Heightened Government Scrutiny,” Health Care Law Today (July 9, 2021)
- Co-author, “The New Face of COVID-19 Fraud Enforcement: An Inter-Agency Task Force,” Coronavirus Resource Center: Back to Business (May 21, 2020)
- Co-author, “The City of Denver a Trendsetter in Cannabis Reform?,” Legal News: Cannabis Industry (April 26, 2021)
- Presenter, “Implications of a Repealed ACA,” Colorado State of Reform 2020 Teleconference (November 17, 2020)
- Co-author, “Government Seizure of Medical Supplies from Health Care Providers – Is It Legal?,” Coronavirus Resource Center: Back to Business (May 15, 2020)
- Presenter, “COVID-19 Provider Relief Funding Webinar,” Foley & Lardner Webinar (April 27, 2020)
- Co-author, “COVID-19: Understanding HHS’s Plans to Disperse Provider Relief Funds Authorized By The CARES Act,” Coronavirus Resource Center: Back to Business (April 27, 2020)
- Co-author, “COVID-19 Not Slowing Efforts to Update Denver’s Cannabis Rule,” Coronavirus Resource Center: Back to Business (April 21, 2020)
- Co-author, “COVID-19: “Hospitals Without Walls” and “Patients Over Paperwork” - Key Takeaways For Hospitals From CMS’ Additional Blanket Waivers,” Coronavirus Resource Center: Back to Business (April 6, 2020)
- Co-author, “COVID-19: Washington Becomes the Second State Approved for 1135 Medicaid Waiver – Key Takeaways,” Coronavirus Resource Center: Back to Business (March 23, 2020)
- Author, “Prime Healthcare Services and its CEO Agree to Pay $65 Million to Settle Fraud Claims: The Government Sends A Clear Message That It Takes Unnecessary Inpatient Stays and 'Upcoding' Seriously,” Journal of Health Care Compliance (November-December 2018)
- Co-author, “Work Product Immunity,” Discovery in Colorado (2017, 2018)
- Presenter, “Electronic Documents and E-Discovery: What the Colorado State Courts Are Saying,” Colorado Bar Association CLE (June 21, 2017)
- Co-author, “Managing Risks When Working with Experts and Consultants,” The Colorado Lawyer (June 2017)
- Co-author, “Attorney-Witnesses Face a Host of Hazards,” The Colorado Lawyer (November 18, 2016)
- Co-author, “New Approach To Pleading Standards From Colo. High Court,” Law360 (August 26, 2016)
- Author, “Litigation Update - Legal Recreational Marijuana,” American Bar Association (May 24, 2016)
- University of Denver, Sturm College of Law (J.D.)
- Saint Joseph’s University (B.S.)
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- The U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado