Alex Chae is a corporate litigation specialist who frequently handles complicated, high-stakes cases throughout the United States and abroad, often representing businesses in the oil and gas and oilfield service industries. He has both defended and prosecuted claims involving a wide range of business disputes, including:
- Working interest royalty and oil & gas disputes
- Trade secret protection, patent, trademark and copyright infringement
- Breach of contract
- Bad faith and insurance coverage
- Federal securities fraud
- Class actions
- Shareholder derivative actions
- Director and officer liability actions
- Antitrust litigation
A tenacious litigation lawyer frequently on the opposing side of America’s largest and most prestigious firms, as well as high profile individuals and companies, Alex has earned a good reputation with the judiciary – dogged demeanor, responsiveness and collaborative approach to keeping his clients involved from start to finish. Because of his courtroom effectiveness and experience, legal departments increasingly call on Alex prior to litigation for his advice on liability and exposure issues.
Alex is also well-known and admired for his connections within the Asian community, both in the United States and abroad. He has traveled frequently to Asia, where he is regarded as a trusted corporate advisor among both individuals and business seeking outside investment and litigation counsel.
Recent clients have included:
- Berger GeoScience Holdco, LLC
- Catlin Insurance Co. Ltd.
- Curocom Energy LLC
- Drillmec Inc.
- International Bank of Commerce, Inc.
- Lime Rock Resources
- Q'Max Solutions, Inc.
- Matrix Petroleum, LLC
- Total Safety U.S. Inc.
- Redman Resources LLC
- Socotherm-LaBarge LLC
- SunEdison Inc.
- Tong Petrotech Inc.
- Waste Management Inc.
- Aju Besteel Co. Ltd.
- Ranger Offshore Inc.
- MedCare Pediatrics LP
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Litigation Section
- Member, Oil, Gas, and Energy Resources Law Section
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Litigation Section
- Member, Environment, Energy, and Resources Section
- Member, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Former Vice President of Communications
- Former Southwest Regional Governor
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Member, Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow, Houston Bar Foundation
- Member, Asian American Bar Association
- Former Director
- Former President
- Member, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Director, Asia Society
- Member, Executive Committee
- Elder, Bethel Church of Houston
- Director, The Source for Women
- Advisory Board Member, Rice University Chao Center for Asian Studies
- Board Member, Da Camera Society
- Board Member, Forge for Families Inc.
- Advisory Committee Member, Whispering Pines Golf Club
- Leadership Houston
- Graduate and Former Chairman
- Former Chair, Ethics Committee, City of Houston
- Former Chair, Mayoral Advisory Board for International Affairs and Development – Asia and Australia
Honors & Awards
- Recognized, Texas Super Lawyers®, a Thomas Reuters business, as published in Texas Super Lawyers Magazine
- Business Litigation and Energy & Natural Resources (2017)
- Recognized, AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell® PEER REVIEW RATINGS™
- Recipient, Impact Award, Asian American Bar Association of Houston (2015)
- J.D., University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law, (1990)
- B.S., Vanderbilt University, (1984)
- Texas (1990)
- Texas State Courts (1990)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit