Mary Caroline (“M.C.”) Cravatta is an associate and litigation attorney with Foley & Lardner LLP. M.C. is based in the Orlando office where she is a member of the Labor & Employment Practice Group.
M.C.’s practice represents management clients in connection with a wide variety of complex labor and employment matters. As a litigator, she practices in both state and federal court and regularly handles matters involving employment and civil rights issues arising under federal statutes (including Title VII, the Americans With Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, and the Fair Labor Standards Act), equivalent state statutes, and common law causes of action. Additionally, M.C. litigates and counsels employers and other corporate clients regarding restrictive covenant law and related considerations. She handles both single-plaintiff lawsuits and complex, multi-plaintiff litigation, including class and collective actions.
M.C. understands that labor and employment issues involve real people and real business concerns. She enjoys collaborating with her clients to create effective and creative solutions that not only address their legal obligations and responsibilities, but also serve the best interests of their organizations as a whole.
- Successfully obtained preliminary injunction on behalf of pharmaceutical management client in contentious non-compete litigation. Later obtained summary judgment in favor of client as to former employee’s liability for violating restrictive covenants, paving the way for extremely favorable settlement terms.
- First-chaired a grievance arbitration on behalf of public sector transportation client, resulting in a favorable arbitral decision upholding termination.
- Represented food service client in putative class and collective wage and hour action and successfully defeated motion for conditional certification of nationwide class, paving the way for favorable settlement negotiations.
- Drafted amicus briefs to both the Eleventh and Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeals on behalf of 15 national trade organizations regarding the ADA’s application to commercial websites.
- Drafted appellate brief to the Florida Supreme Court on behalf of home healthcare client that resulted in favorable decision regarding interpretation of Florida’s non-compete statute.
- Obtained full summary judgment in favor of energy client against charges of employment discrimination and retaliation.
- Obtained full summary judgment in favor of food services client in federal civil rights litigation.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of common law claims of negligent retention and intentional infliction of emotional distress brought against energy client.
- Represented transportation client in putative class and collective wage and hour action and successfully recovered all fees spent defending against motion for protective order filed by plaintiffs, setting the stage for favorable settlement discussions.
- Represented sports management client in putative class and collective wage and hour action and successfully resolved matter by negotiating a settlement that did not involve any monetary payment to named plaintiff.
- Represented food services client in employment discrimination and wage and hour litigation brought by over twenty named plaintiffs, successfully posturing factually complex case for favorable settlement negotiations.
- Drafted post-arbitration briefs regarding both disciplinary and contract interpretation issues that resulted in favorable arbitral decisions on behalf of manufacturing clients.
- Participated in contract negotiations on behalf of public sector transportation client and private sector hospitality client.
- Author, Copyrighting the “Useful Art” of Couture: Expanding Intellectual Property Protection for Fashion Designs, 55 WM. & MARY L. REV. 1617 (2014)
- William & Mary Law School (JD, magna cum laude, 2014)
- Order of the Coif
- Executive Editor, William & Mary Law Review
- Yale University (BA, with distinction, 2011)
- US District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- US District Court, Middle District of Florida
- US District Court, Southern District of Florida
- US Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States