Barry Drees is a seasoned lawyer who handles financial and real estate matters on behalf of clients with a Texas connection in a wide range of industries. He has significant experience involving financial matters including:
- Unsecured and secured lending
- Public and private debt placements
- Single and multi-lender loans
- Syndicated credits
- Participated credits
- Secured credits relying significantly upon collateral, such as real estate, accounts receivable, inventory and equipment, and oil and gas
Barry has represented the following clients in major financings, such as revolving credit facilities, term facilities and senior secured notes facilities:
- Southcross Energy LLC
- Southcross Energy Partners LP
- Brazos Sandy Creek Electric Cooperative Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Brazos Electric Power Cooperative Inc.
- Brazos Electric Power Cooperative Inc.
- Denton County Electric Cooperative Inc. (DBA CoServ Electric)
- CoServ Gas Ltd.
- Essilor of America Inc.
- Foxworth Galbraith Lumber Co.
- Texas Industries Inc.
In the real estate area, Barry concentrates on the acquisition, disposition, leasing and financing of existing and to-be-developed income-producing properties. He frequently serves as special Texas counsel in connection with corporate and real estate-related financing transactions, generally involving Texas business organizations law, Texas real estate and mortgage law, and the Texas Uniform Commercial Code, including the rendering of document-mandated closing opinions. He has also served as lender’s counsel for major national banks and other financial institutions.
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow, Dallas Bar Foundation
- Member, Texas Association of Bank Counsel
- Member, Texas Business Law Foundation
- Member, Dallas Area Real Estate Lawyers Discussion Group
- Former Member and Co-Chair, Advisory Board, Dallas Women’s Foundation
- Former Board Member, Executive Committee Member and Board Chair, Greater Dallas Council on Alcohol and Drug Abuse
- Former Member and Chair, Board of Trustees, The Ursuline Academy of Dallas
- United Way of Metropolitan Dallas
- Former Chairman, Allocations Panel 1
- Former Member, Community Investment Committee
- Former Member, Community Allocations Committee
- Former Member, Admissions Committee
- Former Member, Membership Committee
- Former Firm Representative, Dallas Citizens Council
- Former Firm Representative, Dallas Partnership
- Former Board Member and Development Committee Chair, American Heart Association, Texas Affiliate
- Former Board Member and Board Chair, American Heart Association, Dallas Division
- Former Board Member, Executive Committee Member and Public Safety Committee Chair, Central Dallas Association
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Banking and Finance Law (2019-2021)
- Recognized, Texas Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business, as published in Texas Super Lawyers Magazine (2005-2007)
- Real Estate
- Recognized, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 1970)
- Managing Editor, Georgetown Law Journal
- The University of Alabama (B.S., 1965)
- Commerce and Business Administration