Jill Hale is a litigation senior counsel in Foley’s Houston office. Her practice involves a wide range of commercial litigation and products liability disputes, with a concentration on the energy industry. She represents various energy companies, including exploration and production companies, oilfield service companies, and renewable energy companies. She has experience representing clients in both state and federal courts, as well as domestic and international arbitrations.
Jill is actively involved in all aspects of litigation matters—from the initial investigation and case assessment through the appellate process. She also counsels clients on general business matters and contractual risk allocation, helping them minimize risk and avoid litigation.
- Represented an oil and gas operator in an American Arbitration Association (AAA) arbitration involving various disputes arising from a gas gathering agreement.
- Represented an oil and gas operator against a non-operating working interest owner for failure to pay joint interest billing statements. Obtained summary judgment in favor of operator for all outstanding amounts owed and attorneys’ fees.
- Represented a steel supplier on appeal following a favorable arbitration award against a customer who short paid invoices based on a claim that the supplier failed to timely delivery the promised steel. The appellate court affirmed the trial court’s finding of a valid arbitration agreement, allowing the favorable arbitration award to stand. See ETC Intrastate Procurement Co., LLC v. JSW Steel (USA), Inc., 620 S.W.3d 168 (Tex. App.—Houston [14th Dist.] 2021, no pet.).
- Represented utility-scale solar provider in an International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) arbitration against the seller and manufacturer of solar photovoltaic modules based on chronic and systemic performance issues with the modules.
- Defended wind farm owner and developer in dispute involving a contractor lien foreclosure. Obtained dismissal of the developer.
- Represented lessor of mineral rights in a trespass action based on the trespass of multiple horizontal wells through the subject leases. Resulted in favorable settlement for the client.
- Represented working interest owner against operator for breach of the parties’ joint operating agreement based on the operator’s refusal to recognize the working interest owner’s election to participate in certain wells. Resulted in favorable settlement for the client.
- Defended operator against claims for breach of the operating agreement asserted by various working interest owners.
- Represented oil and gas operator in a AAA arbitration involving breach of a gas purchase agreement, a demand for adequate assurance, and the subsequent termination of the agreement.
- Represented professional basketball team in defending a wrongful death claim arising out of the death of one of its players.
- Represented a financial institution accused of wrongfully closing customer’s account on appeal. Appellate court affirmed summary judgment absolving bank of all liability. See Schrock v. Amegy Bank of Tex., N.A., 2019 WL 6905028 (Tex. App.—Houston [1st Dist.] Dec. 19, 2019, no pet.).
- Represented oilfield service company against a supplier whose products did not perform as expected and represented and ultimately caused the loss of a well. Obtained favorable settlement for the company.
- Represented genetic testing equipment supplier in a breach of contract dispute with customer who failed to pay for goods as required by the parties' contract.
- Represented lighting manufacturer in a dispute involving a breach of a settlement agreement. After a two-day ad hoc arbitration, was awarded the full amount of stipulated damages provided for in the agreement, as well as attorneys' fees and costs.
- Defended a coffee brewer manufacturer against claims of violations of the Lanham Act and trademark infringements.
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Member, Association of Women Attorneys
- Received, 2022 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch recognition for Commercial Litigation
- South Texas College of Law, (J.D., summa cum laude, 2013)
- Member, South Texas Law Review
- Recognized, Dean's List
- Recipient, Merit Scholarship
- Member, Order of Lytae
- Baylor University, (B.A., cum laude, 2007)
- Speech Communications
- Public Relations
- Features Editor, The Baylor Lariat
- Recognized, Dean's List
- Recipient, Presidential Baylor Scholarship
- Texas (2014)
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit