Matthew E. Jassak is a partner and real estate business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP and co-chair of the firm’s Post-Acute Care & Senior Housing Team.
Matthew’s practice at Foley focuses on representing investors, operators and developers in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions, including the acquisition and disposition of senior housing, retail, office, hotel and multifamily properties, commercial mortgage and construction financing and joint ventures. Matthew also handles condominium formation, fractional ownership plans, private residence clubs, non-equity clubs, hotel conversions, state and federal filings, advertising, golf membership programs and other related matters. He is a member of the firm's Real Estate, Health Care and Transactions Practices as well as the Hospitality & Leisure Industry Team.
In addition to his real estate practice, Matthew handles a wide variety of corporate law matters, including corporate formation; corporate operations and governance and other contract drafting, review and negotiation; mergers and acquisitions and capital raising transactions.
Matthew’s significant representations with Foley & Lardner LLP include:
- Representation of Hilton Grand Vacations in a definitive agreement to acquire Diamond Resorts International for approximately $1.4 billion
- Representation of Sentio Healthcare Properties, Inc. in their sale to Kayne Anderson for $825 million
- Representation of Marriott Vacations Worldwide in their $4.7 billion merger with timeshare operator ILG
- Representation of regional owner/operator in a sale of 13 assisted living and skilled nursing facilities for $140 million
- Representation of a national hospitality brand in its acquisition of historic New York City Boutique Hotel, The Quin, for $175 million
- Representation of a national hospitality brand in the development and acquisition of a 150 room build-to-suit property in New York City
- Representation of a regional hospitality operator in acquisition and redevelopment of a historic hotel in South Lake Tahoe, Nevada
- Representation of an investor syndicate in connection with the acquisition, financing and investment in an assemblage site of approximately 20,000 square feet in the Soho area of Manhattan, New York City
- Representation of a real estate sponsor in connection with the $29 million disposition of income-producing multifamily properties in New York City; following the prior representation for the acquisition, financing and joint venture of these properties
- Representation of a real estate sponsor in connection with the $15.4 million purchase of four income-producing multifamily apartment buildings in Harlem, area of Manhattan, New York City
- Representation of a real estate sponsor in connection with the $21 million sale of an apartment building in Brooklyn, New York City
- Representation of a real estate developer in connection with a $100 million joint venture to develop a mixed-use residential and retail development property with 141 rental apartments in the Park Slope neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York City
- Representation of a senior care nursing operator in connection with the sale of a 120-bed senior skilled care nursing facility in Massachusetts
- Representation of a client in the joint venture acquisition of a $49 million portfolio of four assisted living facilities in Illinois and Texas
- Representation of a client in the joint venture development of a $22.4 million 142-unit continuum of care facility in Missouri
- Representation of a client in the acquisition of a $42.5 million 246–unit senior housing community in Colorado
- Representation of a client in the joint venture acquisition of a $15.55 million 85-unit assisted living/memory care senior living community in Boston, Massachusetts
- Representation of a client in the $38.1 million acquisition of a 227-unit senior living community in Woodbury, New Jersey
Matthew received his J.D., cum laude, from the University of Wisconsin in 2007 and his undergraduate degree from Cornell University School of Hotel Administration in 2004.
In 2018, Matthew was named a Florida Trend™ "Legal Elite".
In 2013, Matthew was selected by the Legal Aid Society Board of Trustees as a recipient of the Guardian ad Litem Award of Excellence.
Matthew is admitted to practice in New York, Florida, and Wisconsin.
Matthew is a member of the board of the Garden Theatre, located in Winter Garden, Florida.
- Co-author, “Consider This Before Jumping into the Seniors Housing Market,” National Real Estate Investor, January 2017
- Co-author, “What Does It Take to be a Winner in the Senior Housing Market?” Multi-housing News, November 2016
- Co-author, “How Hotel Developers Can Break Into Senior Housing,” HOTELS, October 2016
- Contributing Author, "Post-Acute Care Handbook: Regulatory, Risk, and Compliance Issues," American Health Lawyers Association, January 2015
- Co-author, "The Fee-For-Service Model: A Beacon of Hope," Florida Real Estate Journal, May 2011
- Co-author, "Think Twice Before Releasing Control of Condo Association," Florida Real Estate Journal, Vol. 17, No. 14, November 2009