Andrew L. Lee is of counsel and a litigation and business attorney with Foley & Lardner LLP. Andy is based in the New York office where he is a member of the firm's Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice and is a member of, and Special Advisor to, the Sports & Entertainment Industry Team.
Andy came to Foley with more than 20 years of experience in the sports, media, and entertainment industries, both in-house and as an outside advisor, with emphasis on counseling senior-level executives at high-profile companies. He has extensive experience both as a litigator and a corporate transactional attorney, having handled complex litigation and business deals involving media rights, sponsorships, naming rights, intellectual property, licensing and internet-related issues, music licensing, business formation, acquisitions and restructurings, business divorces, human resources, nonprofit corporation formation and operations, employment issues, antitrust, real estate, corporate compliance, and finance-related issues, among others. Andy’s clients commonly rely on him as outside general counsel to act as a member of senior management and advise on legal aspects of day-to-day operational needs, including human resources, labor and employment matters, internal and external investigations, governance issues, and strategic transactions among other things.
Andy began his legal career working at a prestigious New York City law firm and was a member of its distinguished Sports Law Practice. Subsequently, he served as General Counsel for the National Football League's New York Jets as well as the NY/NJ Super Bowl Host Committee. Continuing his focus on sports law, Andy also founded ALL Counsel P.C., a premier sports and entertainment boutique law firm based in New York City, which he owned and operated. Andy also has considerable experience representing public relations and communications firms and in the field of crisis management for businesses and high-profile personalities and celebrities. His clients have included, among others, the NY/NJ Super Bowl Host Committee, MetLife Stadium, the New York Jets, the United States Rowing Association, the Brooklyn Nets, Barclays Center, the Miami Dolphins, RSE Ventures, Relevant Sports, Hiltzik Strategies, DKC News and others in the sports, arts, media, entertainment, and general business fields. Andy and his prior firm, ALL Counsel, consistently have been ranked in Tier 1 national and regional rankings for lawyers and law firms in the fields of sports and entertainment law.
- Since 2014, Andrew has been recognized annually by Super Lawyers® as a top rated Entertainment & Sports Attorney
- Since 2016, Andrew has been selected annually by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Sports Law
- Representing rights-holders in domestic and international media rights deals, relating to broadcast and streaming rights
- Successful representation of professional sports teams in a variety of arbitrations, litigations, and disputes, including federal and state court proceedings, class actions, and other proceedings
- Location and appearance releases, talent attachment, rights acquisition/option agreements, and production agreements in connection with reality TV shows, documentary films, web series, and music video productions
- Representing artist and director Julian Schnabel in a variety of business matters, including to back-end rights, corporate structure, copyright issues and resolution of disputes, each case relating to Schnabel’s award-winning films and other business endeavors
- Employment agreements for on-screen broadcast personalities and executives at major television and radio networks
- All aspects of live event production, including venue agreements, broadcast and distribution, government relations, vendor agreements, talent agreements, concessions, ticket sales, premium sales programs, sponsorship and endorsements, promotion and marketing, rights clearance, security, and dispute resolution. Examples include all aspects of Super Bowl week, Orange Drive Miami Beach Music Festival, Montauk Music Festival, various events for the New York Jets (including annual Draft Parties, new uniform/branding launch events, facility grand openings, sponsor events, and other things)
- Formation, governance, and operations of non-profit entities in the sports/entertainment industry
- Representing celebrities, artists, authors, and executives in public relations and crisis management situations
- Serving as outside general counsel to major entertainment industry PR/communications firms
- Representing agencies and agents in the entertainment, media, and sports industries in connection with talent/client opportunities, representation agreements, employment agreements, and ancillary business opportunities
- Facilitated the successful bid of the New York City region to host the 2014 Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium
- Advised the Jets and Giants on a successful joint effort to develop and open MetLife Stadium (the nation’s only two-team NFL stadium)
- Facilitated the development of the New York Jets Atlantic Health Jets Training Center
- Successfully represented NFL and NBA players and coaches in arbitrations and litigations
*Certain of these matters were handled prior to joining Foley.
- Fordham University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1997)
- Member, Order of the Coif
- Writing & Research Editor, International Law Journal
- Founder/Creator, International Law Journal website ILJ Online
- American University (B.A., 1993)
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan