Jim Miles represents health care provider organizations, health care professionals, and private equity firms with corporate governance, business planning, and commercial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, equity and debt financing, joint ventures, and start-ups.
He advises a range of health care providers including ambulatory surgical centers, assisted living facilities, community health centers, home health agencies, hospitals, imaging centers, laboratories, pharmaceutical firms, physician practices, and skilled nursing facilities.
Jim additionally advocates for health care providers undergoing government investigations by the Office of Inspector General, State Medicaid Fraud Control Units, and other government agencies. Jim also assists with government relations and contracting.
Jim has served as an adjunct faculty member at the University of Colorado Law School since 2017.
- Lead counsel on multiple mergers and acquisitions of ambulatory surgery centers, hospitals, physician practice groups, assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities, and other provider organizations.
- Serves as outside general counsel to the Arizona Health Care Association, Colorado Ambulatory Surgery Center Association, Community Health Association of Mountain and Plains States, Colorado Health Care Association, and Colorado Community Health Network.
- Lead counsel on private equity firm acquisitions of various health care provider organizations.
- Lead counsel for the sale of multiple physician groups, both single specialty and multi-specialty, to hospitals, health plans, and private equity-backed firms.
- Lead regulatory and transactional counsel on mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures of hospitals, including nonprofit hospitals, for-profit hospitals, and physician-owned hospitals.
- Representation of multiple pharmaceutical firms in the sale of their stock or assets.
- Representation of provider-owned Medicare Advantage (MA) plans, leading to specific knowledge of MA market dynamics, payment methodology, marketing guidelines for MA plans and in-network providers, and compliance issues.
*Certain of these matters were handled prior to joining Foley.
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Health Care Law (2013-Present)
- Named a “Lawyer of the Year,” Health Care Law (2016, 2020)
- Colorado Super Lawyers (2016-2018)
- 5280 Magazine, “Top Lawyers, Healthcare Section,” (2014-Present)
- The Ambulatory M&A Advisor (2014-2018)
- Named “Top Healthcare Transaction Lawyer” (2015)
- Colorado Bar Association, Health Law Section (2011-Present)
- Executive Council Member (2011-2017)
- Executive Council President (2015-2016)
- Colorado Ambulatory Surgery Center Association (2010-Present)
- American Health Lawyers Association (2001-Present)
- Member, Fraud and Abuse Practice Group (2001-Present)
- Member, Hospitals and Health Systems Practice Group (2001-Present)
- Member, Physician Organizations Practice Group (2001-Present)
- Member, Post-Acute Care Practice Group (2001-Present)
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section, Long Term Care Task Force
- American Health Care Association
- Member, Legal Committee (2016-Present)
- ACO Task Force (2013-2015)
- National Center for Assisted Living, Health Information Technology Task Force (2013-2015)
- Healthcare Financial Management Association (2008-Present)
- Colorado Health Care Association (1996-Present)
- Arizona Health Care Association (2010-Present)
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law (J.D., 1996)
- Tulane University (B.A., 1992)