Todd Murray focuses his practice on class actions, securities litigation, director and officer fiduciary duty and corporate governance disputes, corporate litigation involving complex accounting and financial issues, and energy-related matters. His clients are located throughout Texas and the United States, and comprise a wide variety of business types, sizes and industries. Todd has argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, served as lead and secondary trial counsel in numerous cases, and has represented his clients in all aspects of complex business litigation in federal, state and county courts. His core practice includes:
- Defending class actions in courts across the country.
- Defending securities fraud claims brought against issuers, officers, directors, and accounting firms.
- Investigating and litigating shareholder derivative demands, claims, and actions on behalf of the special litigation committee, the dissident shareholder, the target company and the alleged interested directors.
- Defending accounting malpractice claims against Big 4 accounting firms.
- Representing corporate officers, directors, and other individuals in SEC, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Inc., Self-Regulatory Organization and Department of Justice investigations and enforcement actions.
Todd is a popular contributor to CLE and CPE seminars on various aspects of D&O insurance, securities fraud and fiduciary duty liability. He is also co-vice chair of the firm’s Securities Enforcement & Litigation Practice.
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Council, Antitrust and Business Litigation Section
- Member, Professionalism Committee
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Litigation Section
- Member, Securities Litigation Committee
- Former Co-Chair, Class Actions Subcommittee
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Former Chair, Securities Section (2008)
- Member, National Association of Corporate Directors, Dallas Chapter
- Advisory Board Member
- Former Member, Dallas Petroleum Club
- Former Member, Wildcat Committee
- Former President, Federal Bar Association, Dallas Chapter (2010)
- Former Barrister, Patrick E. Higginbotham American Inn of Court (2003-2006)
- Former AIG Panel Counsel, Director and Officer Defense (Class Action Approved) (2008-2013)
- Graduate, Leadership Arts Institute, Business Council for the Arts (2005)
- Election Judge, Dallas County (2008-2011)
Honors & Awards
- Recognized, Texas Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters business, as published in Texas Super Lawyers Magazine
- Securities Litigation (2006-2017)
- Recognized, The Best Lawyers in Dallas Under 40, D Magazine (2004, 2006)
- Judicial Internship, Honorable Thomas R. Phillips, Supreme Court of Texas
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, (1995), cum laude
- Member, Texas Law Review
- Member, Mock Trial Team
- Recipient, Achievement Award (Contracts)
- B.S., Texas A&M University, (1989), cum laude
- Recipient, President's Endowed Scholar
- Recipient, National Merit Scholar
- Recipient, Lichener Fellowship
- Texas (1995)
- Texas State Courts (1995)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado (1996)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth and Fifth Circuits