Emily Weber is a partner and health care lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. With more than a decade of experience representing hospitals, health systems, academic medical centers, schools of medicine, physician groups, and health care technology companies, Emily focuses her practice on complex health care and clinical research regulations and transactions, governance, fraud and abuse, health innovation, HIPAA, and data privacy matters. Emily is a member of the firm’s Health Care Industry Team.
Having advised in both in-house and outside counsel roles, Emily applies a hands-on experience of operations and regulatory compliance to her law practice. Her unique experience allows her to translate business requirements into exceptional legal solutions for her clients, including effecting collaborations between universities and health systems for academic affiliations, intellectual property sharing between academic medical centers and for-profit entities, innovative collaborative relationships to change health care delivery both in the health care innovation arena and in the traditional outpatient clinic and pharmacy clinic setting, electronic health record licensing, securing and conducting clinical trials, and negotiating agreements with medical manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies. She has a proven track record of handling data security compliance and governance for personalized medical programs.
Prior to joining Foley, Emily was a shareholder and a partner at a prominent Denver-based law firm. She also served as an associate general counsel at the University of Colorado Health, an associate counsel at the Temple University Health System, Inc., and an associate counsel & compliance officer at Vail Valley Medical Center.
- Established a complex, multi-institutional enterprise data warehouse and complementary biobank for a precision medicine program
- Represented a rapidly-growing provider of travel nurse staffing solutions to hospitals and other health care facilities throughout the United States, in its sale to a portfolio company
- Represented a health care innovation company in securing corporate investment
- Represented ancillary providers in developing collaboration agreements
*Certain of these matters were handled before joining Foley.
- Recognized, 5280 Top Lawyers, Health Care (2018)
- Recognized, Colorado Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars (2017)
- J.D., Villanova University School of Law (2006)
- B.A., Washington University in St. Louis (2001)
- Colorado (2007)
- Colorado Bar Association, Health Law Section, Executive Council
- Chair of the board (2018 – present)
- Vice chair of the board (2016 – 2017)
- Secretary to the board (2015 – 2016)
- At-Large member (2014 – 2015)
- Ambassador, CASA Denver
- Former member, American Health Lawyers Association, Teaching Hospitals and Academic Medical Centers, Leadership Development Program (2014-2015)
- Co-Author, “COVID-19: Colorado Issues Emergency Order to Expand Use of Telehealth Services,” Foley's Coronavirus Resource Center (April 13, 2020)
- Co-Author, “Coronavirus Related Legal Considerations for the Senior Housing and Skilled Nursing Industries,” Foley's Coronavirus Resource Center (April 9, 2020)
- Co-Author, “COVID-19: 'Hospitals Without Walls' and 'Patients Over Paperwork'” – Key Takeaways For Hospitals From CMS’ Additional Blanket Waivers,” Foley's Coronavirus Resource Center (April 6, 2020)
- Quoted, “The Top Questions Health Attys Are Hearing,” Law360 (March 17, 2020)
- Panelist, “Business Model Panel Discussion – Health Care Providers,” The Business of Personalized Medicine Summit 2020 (February 27, 2020)
- Co-Author, “Medicine Summit: Break Through to Solutions in the Birthplace of Biotechnology,” Personalized Medicine Bulletin & Health Care Law Today (February 18, 2020)
- Co-Host, “Episode 5 – Leaks, 'Lakes,' and Loot: What’s the Big Deal About Data?,” Health Care Law Today Podcast (January 7, 2020)
- Co-Author, “New Study Concludes Limits on Resident Work Hours Had No Negative Impact on Quality Metrics for Internal Medicine,” Health Care Law Today (August 9, 2019)
- Co-Author, “Medicare Address Match: Hospital Outpatient Denials Looming,” Health Care Law Today (June 5, 2019)
- Co-Author, “Precision Medicine Will Be Worth Big Investment,” Vegas Inc. (August 1, 2016)
- Presenter, “Enterprise Data Warehouses: Collaboration and Compliance,” American Health Lawyers Association, Denver, CO (June 28, 2016)
- Co-Author, “Precision Medicine: Can It Save You?” Las Vegas Business Press (March 28, 2016)
- Speaker, “Tech Transfer Roundtable,” Silicon Flatirons Health Care Innovation Conference, Aurora, CO (March 30, 2016)