Foley attorneys James Kalyvas, Charles Oppenheim, and Richard Rifenbark are presenting on Compliant Hospital-Physician IT Integration: New Legal Guidelines and Incentives for Electronic Medical Records for Beard Audio Conferences, October 16, 2008 from 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Central.
This conference will include:
When can hospitals legally underwrite IT arrangements with local physicians?
Until just recently, the answer was “not very often” and loaded with Stark law concerns. Now the answer is more likely “yes, but under the right conditions.” A May 2008 CMS Advisory Opinion – coupled with clarified IRS rulings and new Medicare incentives for healthcare IT and e-prescriptions – has sparked renewed hospital-physician IT integration efforts nationwide.
Enroll in this 90-minute audio briefing, and let a trio of the nation’s leading healthcare law and IT attorneys explain the latest CMS and IRS rules for Electronic Health Record (EHR) integration, steer your efforts to a compliant Stark track, and answer your most pressing questions. You’ll examine:
- When it’s OK to integrate – types and conditions of IT arrangements considered favorably by CMS
- Current Stark law exceptions for e-prescribing and EHR information technology
- Still-to-be-navigated Stark pitfalls and gray areas
- Levels of IT support or subsidies that could trigger federal scrutiny
- Latest IRS rules and obligations for profit and not-for-profit hospital IT donations
- New Medicare incentives for healthcare IT systems
- Negotiating and structuring IT vendor contracts – practical suggestions to protect yourself
- Prospects for additional incentives and enhanced regulatory relief
For more information please visit Beard Audio Conference’s Web site.