Chair of Foley & Lardner LLP’s Energy Litigation Practice Group, Geoffrey (Geoff) Bracken tries cases and regularly secures favorable outcomes for clients.
A partner in the firm’s Houston office, Geoff’s litigation practice emphasizes commercial, construction, copyright infringement, wrongful death, and personal injury disputes, in particular those related to oil and gas exploration and production. He represents individuals and businesses in both personal injury and commercial litigation matters in trials, on appeals, and, increasingly, in arbitration proceedings.
Geoff has tried more than 65 cases — including 25 reported cases, among them the seminal Supreme Court of Texas cases Perry Homes v. Cull and Sage Street Associates v. Northdale Construction Co. — and has conducted numerous domestic and international arbitrations. Most of his clients — employers, individuals and public and private business entities — are Texas-based, and he represents them throughout the United States.
He is former managing partner of the firm’s Denver office.
- Successfully represented plaintiff in Amegy Bank National Association v. Deutsche Bank Corporation, et al., Middle District of Florida; Ft. Myers Division.
- Represented plaintiff in Stallion Oilfield Construction, LLC and Stallion Oilfield Services Ltd. v. Tommy Angelle, et al., Harris County District Court, Texas.
- Successfully defended client in Richard King v. Patti Labelle a/k/a Patricia Edwards, Zuri Kye Edwards, Efrem Holmes and Norma Harris, Southern District of Texas, Houston Division.
- Successfully represented plaintiff in Sun Coast Resources, Inc. v. Plains Marketing, L.P., Harris County District Court, Texas.
- Successfully defended client in Mesa Petroleum Partners LP v. J. Cleo Thompson & James Cleo Thompson, Jr., L.P., et al., Reeves County District Court, Texas.
- Successfully represented plaintiff in M-J Overseas Limited v. Lee-Var, Inc. et al., Harris County District Court, Texas.
- Amegy Bank, National Association
- Baker Hughes Incorporated
- Cornerstone Brands, Inc. (formerly NCI Building Systems)
- Dril-Quip Inc.
- EXCO Resources, Inc.
- Live Nation Inc.
- M-I Swaco
- Ovintiv Services, Inc. (formerly Encana Oil & Gas)
- Perry Homes LLC
- Smith International Inc. (now a subsidiary of Schlumberger)
Awards and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® Oil & Gas Law (2007, 2010-2024)
- Commercial Litigation (2016-2024)
- Texas Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters business, as published in Texas Super Lawyers Magazine
- Top 100: Texas Super Lawyers® (2015, 2018)
- Top 100: Houston Super Lawyers® (2014-2017)
- Business Litigation (2005-2017)
- Civil Litigation Defense (each year since 2005) General Litigation (each year since 2005)
- Who’s Who in Energy, Houston Business Journal (2011, 2012, 2015)
- Houston’s Professional on the Fast Track, H Texas Magazine
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section
- Entertainment and Sports Law Section
- Litigation Section
- Fellow, American Bar Association
- Fellow, Houston Bar Association
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Member, International Association of Drilling Contractors
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Director, The Children’s Museum of Houston
- Director, Profectum Foundation