David C. Cook has over 30 years of real estate experience representing real estate funds, public companies, REITs, owners, developers, institutional investors, and high-net worth individuals and family offices. He is a partner and the national chair of the firm’s Real Estate Practice, with extensive experience across most areas of real estate, including construction, financing, joint ventures, workouts, sale-leasebacks, leasing, acquisitions, and dispositions.
A significant portion of David’s work involves the acquisition, financing and disposition of multi-asset, multistate portfolios, both negotiated and auctioned transactions, involving most asset classes, including multifamily, golf course communities, resorts, shopping centers, storage facilities, senior and assisted living facilities, office, and timberland.
- Representing developer of the US$535m RiversEdge mixed-use riverfront development project in downtown Jacksonville, Florida.
- Representing one of Florida’s largest privately held developers of residential and mixed-use communities on numerous projects throughout Florida.
- Representing a US$2bn joint venture platform focused on industrial warehouse development and leasing.
- Representing West Point Association of Graduates in connection with the renovation of Michie Stadium at West Point.
- Represented various owners in the sale of private and public golf courses, including the PGA Tour in the sale of TPC River’s Bend north of Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Represented the real estate investment arm of an insurance and financial services association in the sale of its Florida and Texas campuses, consisting of six office buildings totaling approximately 900,000 square feet.
- Represented a public REIT in the US$2.7bn acquisition of a portfolio of 101 shopping centers located across the United States.
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of Class A suburban office portfolio located in the Salt Lake City metropolitan area.
- Represented NorthPoint Development in the approximately US$528m sale of its self-storage portfolio consisting of 36 facilities located in 12 states to Public Storage.
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of an 11-asset multifamily portfolio in the Charlotte and Raleigh, North Carolina, metropolitan regions.
- Represented a national general construction and real estate development company in negotiating a 90/10 joint venture with a global investment management firm in connection with the development of a student housing development in Tempe, Arizona.
- Represented a private equity fund in the sale of a portfolio of Class A suburban office buildings located in Florida, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina.
- Represented two separate joint ventures in the disposition of portfolios of medical office buildings located in Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia.
- Represented a private equity fund in its US$78m acquisition of a downtown Tampa Class A office tower.
- Represented affiliates of Starwood Capital Group in the sales of the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale “Yankee Clipper” Beach Hotel and Westin Beach Resort & Spa.
- Represented a private development company in the sale of The Cliffs Communities, consisting of seven golf course communities in the Carolina mountains.
- Represented a private equity client in an acquisition program of medical office buildings and hospitals throughout the United States.
- Represented a client in the acquisition of three multifamily portfolios consisting of 40 projects located in California, Florida, Texas, Colorado, and Maryland, with aggregate purchase price in excess of US$1.5 bn.
Representative Timberland Experience
- Advised one of the lead investors in connection with the acquisition of a portion of International Paper’s 4.1 million acre timberland portfolio — generally recognized as the largest private land sale since the Louisiana Purchase.
- Advised the family office of one of the wealthiest individuals in the United States in the acquisition of approximately 550,000 acres in Florida — considered to be the largest contiguous privately owned, undeveloped land east of the Mississippi River.
- Represented an affiliate of the Mormon Church in acquiring approximately 382,000 acres located in northwest Florida from The St. Joe Company.
- Represented a life insurance company as lender’s counsel in connection with a US$100m revolving loan secured by timberland located in 19 Georgia counties.
Awards and Recognition
- Recognized as one of Connect CRE’s 2021 Lawyers in Real Estate.
- Peer review rated as AV Preeminent®, the highest performance rating in the Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™.
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Real Estate Law (2009-2024) and Timber Law (2013-2024).
- Recognized as one of the top real estate attorneys in the state of Florida by Chambers USA (2007, 2008, 2021, 2022, and 2023).
- Recipient of Foley’s Carl Hitchner Mentor of the Year Award (2011). These awards are presented each year to recognize outstanding mentoring by partners and senior counsel.
After graduating from West Point, David served approximately six years in the U.S. Army, attaining the rank of Captain.