Mike Donohue is a respected corporate tax attorney and certified public accountant, representing U.S. and multinational companies with complex tax issues, including in the private equity sector. A partner in the firm’s Taxation Practice, clients rely on his experience as a transactional tax attorney to handle income tax planning for complex business transactions involving C corporations, S corporations, and partnerships.
He has significant, first-hand experience analyzing tax issues including with respect to structuring and negotiating large-scale mergers and acquisitions, complex business restructurings and divestures, equity and debt financing, and formation of entities.
Mike is often brought into a transaction to implement a tax efficient structure that accomplishes the business objectives of his clients. He has over 35 years of experience and has worked in the private equity space since the early 2000s.
- Represented a purchaser in connection with tax issues relating to the acquisition of a beverage distributor having a value of US$962m.
- Advised on the structuring and tax issues relating to the securities purchase of all of the equity of an LLC with an enterprise value of US$420m.
- Structured and analyzed the tax issues with respect to the equity investment of a technology company with a post-investment value of US$320m.
- Advised a private equity purchaser in connection with tax issues resulting from acquisition of entity having a post-closing value of US$296m.
- Represented the owners in analyzing the tax issues from the sale and rollover of a company with a post-closing value of US$282m.
- Advised sellers on tax issues relating to sale of service company having a value of US$272m.
- Represented a private equity seller regarding tax issues with the US$242m sale of company in the environmental space.
- Advised a food manufacturer in connection with tax issues regarding a partial equity sale using an UpC structure.
- Represented a health administration corporation with tax issues relating to divesture of a corporate subsidiary in a US$112.5m stock for stock transaction.
- Advised a start up company in connection with income tax structuring and planning relating to compliance with special tax incentive.
Awards and Recognition
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Tax Law (2010 – 2024) and Litigation and Controversy – Tax (2012 – 2021)
- Selected for inclusion to the Texas Super Lawyers® list in the field of Tax Law (2012 – 2014)
- Recognized, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Taxation Section
- Member, Corporate Tax Committee
- Member, Dallas Bar Association