Robert DuPuy brings five decades of broad legal experience to his clients, including his tenure as chief legal counsel and, for nine years, president and chief operating officer of Major League Baseball (MLB). Bob is a partner and member of the firm’s Sports Industry Team, focusing his practice on the representation of buyers and sellers in sports franchise sales transactions and restructurings.
Bob is highly experienced in the financing and navigation of league requirements in connection with these transactions; stadium construction and rehabilitation and financing; media and new media contracts and licensing, syndication, and participation agreements; as well as other related business and legal issues.
While at MLB, he was responsible for all phases of business issues facing the organization, from labor relations to broadcasting rights within traditional and emerging media, and international expansion issues to stadium finance deals, marketing, and legal affairs. He has been involved in most of MLB’s legal issues since 1989, when he was brought in as outside legal counsel. He negotiated the settlement of the collusion grievance in 1990.
Bob served as the principal outside counsel to the commissioner and the executive council from 1992 until 1998, when Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig hired him as the MLB executive vice president of administration and chief legal officer. In that capacity, Bob oversaw the consolidation of the American and National Leagues into the Central Offices, the consolidation of MLB’s office in Washington, D.C., and the formation MLBAM (Major League Baseball Advanced Media) as its initial chief executive officer. He served as Chairman of its Board from 2001-2010, when he left MLB and returned to Foley.
In 1973, after graduating from law school, Bob joined Foley. He was elected partner in 1980, before he became involved with Major League Baseball. Bob previously served as a member of the firm’s Management Committee and was chairman of the Professional Standards Committee.
Awards and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Sports Law (2023-2024)
- Peer Review Rated as AV® Preeminent™, the highest performance rating in Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review rating system
- New York Super Lawyers® (2014)
- Who’s Who Legal: Sports & Entertainment (2020)
- Who’s Who Legal: Sports & Gaming (2021)
- Professor of legal ethics and professional responsibility at Cornell University, Northwestern Law School, the University of Wisconsin Law School, and Marquette University Law School.
- Long-time faculty member of the National Institute of Trial Advocacy.
- Long-time member and past chairman of the State Bar of Wisconsin’s Professional Ethics Committee.