Scott Ellis is a trial lawyer with nearly two decades of experience working closely with clients to confront complex disputes that disrupt business, cause stress, and generate commercial and financial uncertainty.
Scott is the managing partner of the Houston office, vice chair of the firm’s national Energy Litigation Practice, and a member of Foley’s Energy Sector Advisory Board. He is also an Adjunct Professor of trial advocacy at the University of Houston Law Center.
Scott is highly skilled in evaluating and managing risk, suggesting creative, practical, and cost-effective dispute resolution strategies; and where a business resolution is not possible, achieving the client’s legal, business, and strategic goals through litigation. He places equal emphasis on proactive, front-end counseling and risk avoidance.
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Scott focuses his practice on complex litigation and trial work, representing national and international corporate clients primarily in the energy, construction and financial sectors that are involved in sophisticated, high-stakes commercial and financial disputes. He is particularly experienced in litigating complex contractual, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and business theft matters.
Scott’s practice is national in scope. He regularly litigates, tries, and arbitrates cases across the country. However, having practiced in Texas for nearly two decades, Scott is uniquely positioned to assist clients with issues and disputes within the state — he has extensive litigation and trial experience in both state and federal courts across Texas.
Complementing his commercial litigation practice, Scott routinely lectures about advanced collection techniques, including mineral liens, materialman’s liens, sequestrations, and garnishments. These techniques are used to efficiently and cost-effectively collect funds rightfully owed to his clients. Domestic and international clients hire Scott to serve as lead collection counsel for debts and judgments that others have deemed uncollectible.
Energy Industry Counseling and Litigation
As vice chair of the firm’s national Energy Litigation Practice, Scott represents oil and gas companies that specialize in oilfield services, exploration and production, and midstream; energy companies that supply natural gas, electricity, and solar; and energy companies that operate power generation plants.
Drawing on his experience working for the National Renewable Energy Laboratory/U.S. Department of Energy in Washington D.C., and his nearly two decades of experience representing energy clients in Texas, Scott often brings his litigation, counseling, and trial experience to bear in matters involving energy and electricity-related contractual, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and business theft matters.
Financial Industry Counseling and Arbitration
Scott also serves as a securities lawyer in FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority) arbitration matters, successfully representing both claimants and respondents in investor/security products arbitration proceedings throughout the United States.
Awards and Recognition
- Recognized, The Best Lawyers in America® (2024)
- Recognized, Texas Super Lawyers, as published in Texas Super Lawyers Magazine (2022-2023)
- Recognized, Texas Rising Star by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business, as published in Texas Super Lawyers Magazine (2010-2020)
- Named, Houston Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 (2020)
- Finalist, The American Lawyer’s Best Mentor (2022)
- Named, Best Mentor by Texas Lawyer (2020)
- Houston Bar Association’s President’s Award (2020)
- Recipient, The Foley Carl Hitchner Mentor of the Year Award (2019)
- Recognized, Top Verdict, a RegoMark business, as published on Topverdict.com
- Top 100 U.S. Verdict (2014)
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, American Bar Association
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Commissioner, American Bar Association Commission for Racial & Ethnic Diversity in the Profession
- Board Member, University of Houston Law Center Alumni Board
- Advisory Board Member, CAIL Institute for Energy Law
- Board Member, Houston Volunteer Lawyers
- Co-Chair, Houston Bar Association’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee
- Trustee, Henry David Thoreau Foundation
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa Alumni Association of Greater Houston