Craig S. Fochler is a partner and intellectual property lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP, where he is chair of the Chicago Intellectual Property Department. Craig is experienced in all aspects of domestic and international trademark, copyright and unfair competition law. His experience includes litigating trademark and advertising issues throughout the United States and a number of foreign countries. Craig is a member of the firm’s IP Litigation, Trademark, Copyright & Advertising Practices, and the Food & Beverage Industry Team.
He has represented a wide variety of clients, including cable television companies; computer hardware and software companies; financial institutions; food and candy processors; machinery and automotive manufacturers; personal care product manufacturers; retail chain stores; sports card manufacturers; and various nonprofit organizations. Craig also has extensive experience in intellectual property and transactional matters, including mergers; acquisitions; domestic and foreign trademark and copyright registration; and licensing programs.
Awards and Recognition
- Named in the 2019 World Trademark Review’s “WTR 1000″ directory, where he is described as “highly experienced in trademark and advertising litigation”
- Named a BTI Client Service All-Star, an elite group of attorneys nominated solely and exclusively by clients in BTI’s independent study as delivering the absolute best in client service (2010)
- Recognized in 2010 – 2014 and 2016 by The Legal 500 and was selected for inclusion in the 2005, 2007, 2009–2016 Illinois Super Lawyers® lists
- 2014 recipient of Foley’s Carl Hitchner Mentor of the Year Award, presented annually to recognize outstanding mentoring to our young attorneys*
- Adjunct professor for trademarks and unfair competition at Northwestern University School of Law
- Guest lecturer of deceptive advertising and expert evidence in trade identity and deceptive advertising actions for the master of law program at John Marshall School of Law
- Member, American Bar Association and the Promotional Marketing Association
- Commissioner of the Lighthouse Park District in Evanston, Illinois since 1982
- Captain in the U.S. Army where he served from 1968 to 1976
Presentations and Publications
- Illinois law editor of the United States Trademark Association’s treatise State Trademark And Unfair Competition Law (1987) from 1986 through 1992.
- Principal contributor to the analytic text for the law school casebooks Trademarks, Trade Identity And Unfair Competition Practices: Cases and Materials (1974), Unfair Competition and Unfair Trade Practices (1985) and Trademarks (1987).
- Craig has lectured and spoken at numerous bar and professional association legal education programs