Katherine Harrington is a senior counsel in the firm’s Litigation Department, where she focuses her practice on energy and business litigation. She represents clients involved in complex litigation disputes and appellate matters, primarily in commercial, oil and gas, product liability, personal injury defense, consumer, and insurance litigation. Her energy litigation practice includes the representation of oil and gas companies that specialize in oilfield services, exploration and production, and midstream, energy companies that supply natural gas, electricity, and solar, and energy companies that operate power generation plants. Her commercial litigation practice includes the representation of manufacturing companies, distributors, and professional services firms. Katie has represented clients in litigation in Texas state court and in federal courts throughout the country, as well as in arbitration before the AAA and ICC. Katie is involved in all aspects of a case, including motion practice, written discovery, depositions, hearings, settlement negotiations, trials, and appeals. She also counsels clients on general business matters, helping them to minimize risk and avoid litigation.
Katie brings to the table a unique insight by having served as a briefing attorney for Justice Ken Wise of the 14th Court of Appeals in Houston as an intern for Judge David Hittner of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas. In addition to these roles and prior to joining the firm, Katie also served as a law clerk for a Houston-based international oil company, where she became familiar with the environmental, contract, and other issues that her energy clients face.
- Participated on trial team in 9-week jury trial in Texas state court defending 12 individuals accused of stealing trade secrets from former employer. Secured favorable outcome for clients that precluded a bid for $42 million in damages sought by plaintiff.
- Represented global professional services firm accused of failing to place directors & officers insurance coverage requested by its client, which client alleged resulted coverage denial. After second-chairing 2-week bench trial in Texas state court, obtained favorable settlement for client.
- First-chaired 1-day arbitration defending ecommerce company sued for violations of state consumer protection laws based on false and misleading advertising regarding its products. Successfully obtained favorable settlement for client following the arbitration.
- Successfully obtained award for all damages and attorneys’ fees for exploration and production company following 1-week arbitration in pursuing breach of contract and warranty claims against supplier of defective downhole retrievable production packer that resulted in blowout of oil and gas well.
- Represented oilfield service company accused of breaching contract with manufacturer for failing to purchase specially manufactured goods pursuant to contracts, purchase orders, and forecasts. After a 1-week arbitration, obtained favorable award for client far in excess of the amount sought by the plaintiff.
- Successfully obtained favorable award for oilfield service company following 1-week arbitration in defending against allegations that defective cement job caused $12 million in damage to an offshore oil and gas well.
- Represented oilfield service company accused of breaching contract with manufacturer for failing to purchase specially manufactured goods made pursuant to contract and forecasts. After a 1-week arbitration, obtained favorable award for client far in excess of the amount sought by the plaintiff.
- Represented offshore drilling contractor sued by former CEO and COO who accused client of failing to pay more than $10 million in termination benefits. After two days into the arbitration, obtained favorable settlement for client.
Awards and Recognition
- Recognized, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch recognition for Commercial Litigation (2021 – 2024)
- Recognized, Texas Super Lawyers® – Rising Star list in the field of Energy & Natural Resources (2019 – 2022)
- Institute for Energy Law (IEL) – 4th Annual Leadership Class (2021 – 2022)
- Vice President of Communications, Association of Women Attorneys (2019 – 2020)
- Member, Mayor Sylvester Turner’s LGBTQ Advisory Board (2018 – 2020)
- Member, Houston Young Lawyers Association (2018 – 2020)
- Co-chair, HYLA Leadership Academy (2018 – 2020)
- Trustee, Association of Women Attorneys Foundation (2016 – present)
- Marketing Chair (2020-present)
- National LGBT Bar Association (2018 – present)
- Membership & Diversity Committee (2020)
Presentations and Publications
- “Petroleum Extension (PETEX) – Rig School – Overview of Macondo and Oilfield Anti-Indemnity Statutes,” (October 2019)
- Presenter, “Speech is Silver but Silence is Golden: Anti-SLAPP Update,” Houston Bar Association 2019 Civil/Appellate Bench Bar Conference (April 2019)