Steve McCartin has an extensive and comprehensive national bankruptcy practice, representing secured lenders, debtors, trustees, and creditors’ committees, with an emphasis on representing debtors in large corporate reorganizations. In addition, he counsels clients on out-of-court workouts, turnarounds, and the acquisition and sale of distressed assets. Steve is highly regarded for his business-oriented approach and 35-plus years of experience throughout the United States. His representative clients and matters are varied, spanning multiple industries, subject areas, and business issues.
- Represented Preferred Care, Inc. and its affiliated owners of 108 skilled nursing facilities located in 12 states in both bankruptcy and out-of-court workout proceedings.
- Represented American Housing Foundation and its affiliated owners of 65 apartment complexes located in seven states.
- Represented approximately 4,000 Trammell Crow Company single purpose real estate partnerships with aggregate indebtedness of US $2bn in both bankruptcy and out-of-court workout proceedings.
- Represented Dallas Market Center, the owner of the largest wholesale trademark in the world, in its out of court restructuring.
- Represented William Herbert Hunt (one of the “Hunt Brothers”) and his domestic and foreign affiliates in one of the largest individual bankruptcy proceedings in the United States.
- Represented the Official Unsecured Creditors’ Committee in Greyhound Line Inc.’s national bus line bankruptcy proceeding.
- Represented Linens-N-Things as corporate counsel in one of the largest retail and cross-border bankruptcies in the United States and Canada.
- Represented Eagle Geophysical, Inc. and 16 of its domestic and foreign affiliates in one of the largest offshore seismic data bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented MJ Designs and its affiliated owners of 55 arts and craft retail stores located in eight states, in their Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented the Official Unsecured Creditors’ Committee in the TXCO Resources, Inc. bankruptcy proceeding; TXCO, a publicly traded E & P company, conducted a §363 sale of 1 million gross acres in the Eagle Ford Formation.
- Represented the Official Unsecured Creditors’ Committee of AMRE, Inc., a publicly traded company that served as exclusive licensee of Sears for home remodeling throughout the United States.
- Represented Sfuzzi Inc. and its affiliated owners of 21 upscale Italian restaurants located in 12 states in their Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
Awards and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of:
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2008-2024)
- Litigation – Bankruptcy (2011-2024)
- Financial Restructuring (2018)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Tom Wicker ed., Chambers & Partners)
- Bankruptcy/Restructuring [Texas] (2011, 2014-2017)
- Texas Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters business, as published in Texas Super Lawyers Magazine
- Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights (2005-2007, 2011-2017)
- Peer Review Rated as AV Preeminent®, the highest performance rating in the Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ system
- Member of the State Bar of Texas
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the Dallas Bar Association
- Member of the American Bankruptcy Institute