James (Jay) Munisteri is an active trial lawyer in Houston, particularly in the areas of energy and title litigation, international dispute resolution, corporate governance disputes, and cases involving the laws of multiple and international jurisdictions. Notable and recent trials include bet-the-company cases for a major title company and foreign energy company, representation of an offshore rig broker with claims of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty, trade secret theft, an offshore platform construction dispute, and physician shareholder disputes over control of health care facilities.
Having presented and deposed more than 100 C-suite executives and numerous expert witnesses, Jay is known for handling the most contentious disputes. Jay has handled corporate deadlocked disputes, typically for private companies, and has also represented senior executives and major institutions in white-collar matters, such as RICO claims. He is a veteran courtroom lawyer who has deep experience on both sides of the docket representing both plaintiffs and defendants. Jay also represents clients in domestic and international arbitrations.
Jay frequently identifies alternative fee arrangements that highlight the efficiencies he brings to his cases, with the goal of making the budget and dispute resolution process more streamlined and predictable for his clients. He is a natural collaborator when working with teams of lawyers as co-counsel from other firms, evidenced by lawyers being a frequent referral source to Jay.
He is known by clients as a quick study – one who climbs into new subject matter quickly and easily. Jay is extraordinarily tenacious, and not always conventional in how he approaches cases. He effectively balances diplomacy and a warrior nature, a key trait in international dispute resolution that crosses borders and cultures. Jay frequently handles and has tried cases governed by the laws in the United States, Canada, England, Brazil, Chile, El Salvador, Venezuela, Uruguay, Argentina, Peru, Panama, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guatemala, the British Virgin Islands, and Bermuda.
Particular sector experience includes energy, health care, nutrition, biotech, hospitals, and the title industry. Jay’s clients have included:
- Aker Solutions Inc.
- Bassoe Offshore
- Community Health Systems Inc.
- Contango Inc.
- EMAS Inc.
- EyeSys Technologies
- Labrada Nutrition
- Newfield Exploration Co.
- Ping Petroleum Ltd.
- Stewart Title Guaranty Co.
- Tecsis Tecnologia e Sistemas
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Houston Bar of Texas
- Participant, Bar Association Committees Related to Insurance Coverage and Business Litigation
- Selected, Arbitrator for the International Center for Letter of Credit Arbitration
- Assisted, Drafting of the Rules of Arbitration for Letter of Credit Disputes
- Member, Photography Committee, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Director, Houston Center for Photography
- Class XI, Leadership Houston (1992)
- Past Member, Republican Party Judicial Candidates Screening Committee
- Chairmen Council, Camp For All
- Director, FotoFest