David W. Reinecke counsels and represents individuals and businesses in matters relating to tax and estate planning, business succession planning, marital property planning, the creation and administration of trusts, and probate administration. In addition, he represents individuals and businesses involved in adversarial proceedings with the Internal Revenue Service and the Wisconsin Department of Revenue. David is the former chair of the firm’s nationwide Tax & Individual Planning Practice. He is also a member of the firm’s Estate Planning and Taxation Practices.
Awards and Recognition
- Recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in Private Wealth Law (2020).
- Peer review rated as AV Preeminent®, the highest performance rating in the Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ system.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Trusts and Estates (1995-2024).
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2010 and 2015 Trusts and Estates “Lawyer of the Year” in Madison (Based on exhaustive peer-review surveys, attorneys honored as “Lawyers of the Year” have received particularly high ratings for their abilities, professionalism and integrity).
- Named to The Best Estate Planning Attorneys in America.®
- Included in Who’s Who in American Law.
- Selected for inclusion in the 2005 – 2016 and 2021 Wisconsin Super Lawyers®
- Recognized in the Legal 500 for his work in domestic tax: central.
- Recipient of the 2014 Lynford Lardner Community Service Award in recognition of his volunteer work and civic involvement.
- Adjunct professor of law at the University of Wisconsin – Madison Law School
- Past president of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the Wisconsin State Bar
- Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), where he served for ten years as the state chair
- Past chair of ACTEC’s Wisconsin Membership Selection Committee and currently serves on its Estate and Gift Tax Committee
- Served as the chairperson for the Wisconsin Probate Code Committee, which recently completed a rewrite of Wisconsin’s Probate Code
- Member of the Madison Estate Planning Council and the Madison Planned Charitable Giving Council
- Past chair for the board of governors for the Madison Community Foundation
- Past chair for the board of directors of St. Mary’s Foundation
- Serves on numerous other boards, for both non-profit and for-profit entities
Presentations and Publications
- Lectures extensively all over the country and has published two books and numerous articles on estate planning and taxation in several national publications. One of his most recent publications is a book entitled Maximizing the Value of Trusts & Estates.
- Coauthored the article, “Time Runs Out on Wisconsin’s Estate Tax,” featured in the December 2007 issue of Wisconsin Lawyer.