Katherine R. Rist is a partner and real estate business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. Katherine has experience in real estate transactions, representing financial institutions, land developers, investors, property owners, and managers in real property sales and acquisitions, real estate development and zoning matters, including mixed-use and residential condominium developments, and the negotiation of commercial and industrial leases. She is a member of the Real Estate and Finance & Financial Institutions Practices.
Katherine concentrates her work in affordable housing development and finance. She has experience representing developers and investors involved in the development of affordable multifamily housing and supportive living projects that use the syndication of low income housing tax credits, rental subsidies, governmental loans and grant programs, including HOME loans and FHLB Affordable Housing Program grants. Katherine also has experience in representing non-profit organizations along with for-profit developers in connection with FHA-insured multi-family loan transactions and direct HUD loans.
Awards and Recognition
- Selected for inclusion in the 2009 and 2012-2016 Wisconsin Super Lawyers – Rising Stars® list for her real estate work.
- Named a Wisconsin Law Journal “Up and Coming” Lawyer honoree for 2013. This award recognizes rising stars in Wisconsin’s legal community who have demonstrated outstanding leadership, contributed to their community and successfully achieved notable legal outcomes early in their career.
- Recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the practice area of Real Estate (2021 – 2023).
- Serves on the board of directors for Downtown Madison, Inc. and is the chair of the Affordable Housing subcommittee
- Member of the Wisconsin State Bar and the American Bar Association