David B. Ryan has extensive experience in asset-backed securitization financings and in revenue bond financings, including as issuer’s counsel, bond counsel, underwriter’s or purchaser’s counsel, and borrower’s counsel. David is a partner in the firm’s Finance, Financial Institutions, and Public Finance Practices.
David has served as lead issuer’s counsel on over US$30 billion of asset-backed debt issuances for receivables financings. He currently serves as primary bond counsel for the State of Wisconsin’s general obligation, state revolving fund revenue bonds, and master lease credits. He has also worked on new markets tax credit-enhanced revenue bonds for hospitality, housing, and industrial projects. David also frequently represents financial institutions in providing credit and liquidity facilities for taxable and tax-exempt debt financings.
Awards and Recognition
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers (2016-2018)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 for his work in structured finance (2010-2012)
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of:
- Securitization and Structured Finance Law (2011-2024)
- Non-Profit / Charities Law (2018-2024)
- Public Finance Law (2018-2024)
- Named the Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” in Milwaukee in the fields of:
- Securitization and Structured Finance Law (2017, 2023)
- Public Finance Law (2014)
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
David has more than 30 years of experience in student loan finance, including Federal Family Education Loan (FFELP) and private loan program development, warehouse financings and term securitizations, and portfolio purchases and sales. He has been a frequent panelist at Education Finance Council and National Council of Higher Education Loan Program conferences and seminars and played a major role in the development of the first common form of FFELP promissory note.