Larry Schoenbrun is an experienced mergers and acquisitions lawyer who works with clients on the painful aftermath of their mergers and acquisitions (M&A) transactions when they don’t turn out as planned. From fraud and financial difficulties, environmental and employment issues, to domestic and international tax problems, Larry represents buyers and sellers around the United States and helps them maximize their investment value and minimize the lingering concerns. Larry also represents business owners and executives in corporate divorces and separations. He is a sought after advisor who understands the business, technical, legal, and economic nuances, as well as the remedies, of these often complex and challenging matters.
For years Larry has worked with private equity companies, their portfolio companies, and venture capital investors. He is frequently hired to represent special committees, especially in conflict situations between principal and minority shareholders, when there is alleged wrongdoing on corporate governance matters or in dealing with affiliate transactions.
Larry is considered an invaluable advisor to independent directors when they are considering placement on a public company board. He analyzes and advises on fiduciary duties of directors and director indemnification, as well as director and officer coverage policies, and collaborates with Foley partners in analyzing insurance coverage in order to provide the most comprehensive protection and advice.
Larry’s greatest source of new clients is referrals from existing ones. He has the confidence of executives who have benefited from his reasonable, level-headed, and pragmatic approach to problem-solving. Understanding that parties in business divorces are emotional and not always rational, Larry is the trusted arbiter in the room. He is adept at helping warring factions achieve calm resolution, and accepting an approach that is doable and practical.
Awards and Recognition
- Named the Best Lawyers® Dallas Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law “Lawyer of the Year” (2014)
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of:
- Corporate Law (2006-2023)
- Corporate Compliance Law (2011-2023)
- Corporate Governance Law (2011-2023)
- Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2007-2023)
- Securities/Capital Markets Law (2007-2023)
- Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law (2009-2023)
- Recognized, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Tom Wicker ed., Chambers & Partners)
- Corporate/M&A, Texas (2001-2013)
- Recognized, Texas Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters business, as published in Texas Super Lawyers Magazine
- Mergers and Acquisitions (2003-2019)
- Top 100: Dallas / Fort Worth Super Lawyers (2019)
- Recognized, Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine
- Mergers & Acquisitions (2001-2012, 2019)
- Corporate Law: General (2016, 2019)
- Recognized, Who’s Who Legal (Law Business Research Limited) in Corporate Governance (2014)
- Recognized, AV Preeminent®, 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Recipient, Anti-Defamation League Jurisprudence Award
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Business Law Section
- Member and Former Chairman, Securities Committee of the Council of the Business Law Section
- Former Chairman, Council of the Business Law Section
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Member of the Executive Committee and Former Chairman, Texas Business Law Foundation
- Member of the Board of Trustees, and Former Chairman, Texas Hillel Endowment Foundation at The University of Texas at Austin
- Lifetime Director, and Former Executive Committee Member, Dallas Holocaust Memorial Center
- Former President, Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas
- Lifetime Director, and Former Chairman, Anti-Defamation League® North Texas/Oklahoma Region
- Director, and Former Chairman, Dallas Jewish Community Foundation
- Former Director, Dallas Theater Center
- Former Director, Temple Shalom Dallas
- Former Director, United Way of Metropolitan Dallas
- Former President, Community Homes for Adults Inc.
- Former Member, Dallas Citizens Council