Richard F. Seiden is a partner and healthcare business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. His practice focuses on all aspects of healthcare business counseling, including the formation of business entities, general business and financing matters, and mergers and acquisitions. He has supervised many of the firm’s major Southern California transactions involving mergers and acquisitions and has participated in a number of venture capital, commercial, and tax-exempt financing transactions. He is a member of the Health Care Industry Team and Transactional & Securities and Health Care Finance Practices.
Richard serves as outside general counsel to major nonprofit hospital systems, advising and assisting them in the development of regional integrated delivery systems that are positioned to operate in a managed care environment. He also has been instrumental in creating a variety of vehicles for physician investment, including doctor-owned hospitals, medical office buildings, and joint ventures to operate ambulatory surgery centers, diagnostic imaging, sports medicine, and radiation therapy.
Richard is a former member of the firm’s Management Committee and previously served as the managing partner of the firm’s California offices.
- Created a new non-profit hospital operating system to combine the operations of two major academic medical centers.
- Created a common parent for a hospital system and a physician-led medical foundation, and ultimately merged the hospital corporation and the medical foundation.
- Represented the buyer in an affiliation that effectively resulted in the acquisition of assets of a Catholic hospital, through a substitution of the corporate member of the Catholic hospital corporation, with joint board participation, and financial sharing.
- Represented numerous buyers or sellers of hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, physician practices, HMOs, etc.
Awards and Recognition
Richard has been Peer Review Rated as AV® Preeminent™, the highest performance rating in Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review rating system. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America© every year since 2006 and Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2008–2011). Mr. Seiden was also selected for inclusion in the 2009–2016 Southern California Super Lawyers® lists.
- Richard has taught a health law course as an adjunct professor at the UCLA School of Law. He is also active in community activities and is a former chair of the board of trustees of the National Psoriasis Foundation. Richard serves as a board member of a specialty hospital.
- Richard is a member of the American Bar Association, the Los Angeles County Bar Association, and the American Health Lawyers Association.