Jonathan Stimler is a trial lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP and member of the firm’s Business Litigation & Dispute Practice.
Jonathan is a seasoned trial and appellate litigator with wide-ranging experience in many facets of commercial litigation. Prior to Foley, Jonathan worked at an Orlando-based corporate law firm where he focused his practice on business and civil litigation in state and federal courts including contract, business tort, real estate, construction, intellectual property, insurance, foreclosure, collections, premises liability, employment, ADA, public finance, banking, trade secret, non-compete, and appellate litigation. Jonathan’s extensive experience serving as litigation counsel to real estate developers, builders, insurers, other public and private companies, community development districts, other government entities, tax certificate owners, lenders, and individuals also includes:
- Prosecuting numerous post-judgment proceedings supplementary, including complex alter ego and fraudulent transfer claims
- Litigating a broad array of attorneys’ fees issues, including regularly serving as a fee expert regarding lodestar compensability and unique multiplier issues
- Serving as Florida first party counsel for a motor vehicle insurer for over a decade
- Managing troubled asset acquisition, disposition, and leasing and disputes with lenders, associations, and local governments
- Representing commercial landlords and tenants in transactions, disputes, and litigation
- Representing contractors and owners in construction lien litigation, defect claims, and contract and instrument preparation
- Representing employers, other commercial garnishees, and judgment creditors and debtors in both routine and complex contested post-judgment writs
- Navigating intra-corporate disputes among shareholders, partners, members, and/or the applicable entity
- Obtained reversal of the trial court’s dismissal with prejudice of a legal malpractice action on statute of limitations grounds, as reported in Reeves v. Barrett, 964 So. 2d 869 (Fla. 1st DCA 2007)
- Obtained heavily contested summary money judgments in business court exceeding $3,800,000 (land banking dispute) and $2,300,000 (liquidating a settlement agreement)
- Successfully defended several District Court of Appeal appeals, achieving per curiam affirmance of judgments obtained in the trial court
- Successfully intervened in a community development district’s foreclosure action to enforce a tax certificate owner’s co-equal lien and separately obtained a tolling declaration and injunction concerning the client’s statutory tax deed application deadlines
- Obtained summary judgment in proceedings supplementary avoiding fraudulent conveyances and invalidating a tenancy by the entireties declaration concerning 18 limited liability companies with contemporaneous charging order and foreclosure relief against the membership interests and receivership entitlement granted
*Certain of these matters were handled before joining Foley.
Awards and Recognition
- Florida Super Lawyers-Rising Stars® lists (2013 – 2016)
- Florida Trend’s magazine Florida Legal EliteTM Up & Comers (2010)
Jonathan is a member of the Orange County Bar Association (OCBA) and served two terms on the board of directors for the Young Lawyers Section of the OCBA. Jonathan also volunteers with the Legal Aid Society, Orange County Bar Association, and his local community and children’s schools.
Jonathan is proficient in conversational and written Spanish. He studied in Seville, Spain while earning a Spanish minor from the University of Florida and also studied in Santiago, Chile at the Executive MBA program of the Pontífica Universidad Católica de Chile while interning for the Chilean Economic Development Body, Corporación de Fomento de la Producción (CORFO).