Hoang (Quan) Vu is an experienced finance lawyer, representing borrowers, agents/lenders, issuers, developers, sponsors, private equity, portfolio companies, sub-debt, second lien debt, purchasers, hedge counterparties, energy traders, and public and private companies in corporate and finance transactions totaling over US$20 billion, with a focus on syndicated or project finance transactions in the oil, gas, and energy (including natural gas, wind, solar, battery storage, and power) sectors.
Quan handles complex corporate and finance transactions throughout North America and abroad, including:
- Syndicated and secured Lending
- Oil and gas lending
- Wind, solar, battery storage, and other renewable energy development and financing
- Project finance
- Hedging/derivatives transactions, including in the oil, gas, and energy industry and on ISDA and NAESB forms
- Leveraged lending
- Asset-based lending
- First/second lien financing
- Acquisition finance
- Real estate lending
- Structured finance
- Reorganizations, workouts, UCC foreclosures, bankruptcy collateral analysis, and sales
- Uniform Commercial Code, opinion, and collateral transactions
- Mergers and acquisitions
Quan has represented over 20 banks (typically as lead agent) and borrowers in all types of syndicated loan and club transactions. He is knowledgeable on the market for sophisticated loan transactions, and in some cases, developed the loan forms for the banks directly. Quan has experience in traditional upstream (i.e., borrowing base E&P deals), midstream, and downstream financings. He has worked on natural gas, wind, solar, power, oilfield service, battery storage, and alternative energy development and/or financings.
In addition to representing borrowers in the energy industry, Quan has also represented borrowers in a variety of non-energy industries such as software, building products, restaurant tabletop media devices, undercarriage products, real estate, wire harness, QSR franchises, investment management, convenience stores, consulting companies, strategic growth, recycling, industrial supply, life insurance, farming, steel supply, communications, and metal manufacturing.
Quan’s practice also includes counseling or supervising clients for corporate, investment, M&A, commercial contracts, real estate, intellectual property, distributorship, and litigation matters, particularly with an emphasis on Asian-owned businesses seeking investment opportunities in North America.
Clients appreciate Quan’s extremely responsive, creative, and practical approach, where he identifies risks and provides workable ways to move deals forward. He understands that clients have one primary question when working with lawyers — “Can you help me close this deal with the least amount of risk?”— and he works constantly to fulfill that mission for clients.
Quan is a member of the Finance, Transactions, Oil & Gas, Power & Utilities, and Renewables Practice Groups. He is also a member of the firm’s Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance (ESG) Team.
- Represented GMAC LLC in a US$3.5bn revolving and term loan facility made to Residential Funding Company, LLC and GMAC Mortgage, LLC in connection with a public exchange offer of existing notes by Residential Capital, LLC.
- Represented developer in obtaining project financing for the construction of three natural gas-fired combined-cycle electric generation facilities (total project cost of over US$1bn) in East Texas.
- Represented agent bank for a US$1.3bn revolving and term loan facility for public oil and gas company in connection with the acquisition of offshore oil and gas assets in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented ConocoPhillips Company in connection with refinancing and ongoing development of an over US$1bn LNG facility project in Texas.
- Represented underwriters and agent bank in connection with a US$600m bond and loan project finance and parallel C$600m bond and loan project finance of a U.S.-Canadian pipeline co-sponsored by four major energy companies.
- Representing developer in obtaining project financing for the construction of two natural gas-fired combined-cycle electric generation facilities (total project cost of over US$800m) in West Texas.
- Represented numerous clients in negotiating and/or reviewing a variety of swap and hedging transactions using ISDA- and NAESB-based documentation, covering financial (including virtual PPAs relating to heat rate swaps for natural gas-fired power plants and for wind facilities) and physical transactions for oil, gas, and power with counterparties such as Citi, EDF, Capital One, RBS, BB&T, TCB, BOK, BBVA Compass, Regions, Macquarie, HNB, Comerica, Morgan Stanley, ABN Amro, Cargill, Shell, and NextEra.
- Represented natural gas trader in multiple derivatives transactions with corporate and developer counterparties using ISDA- and NAESB-based documentation and provided finance advice regarding extensions of credit by natural gas trader.
- Represented first lien agent bank in a US$700m refinancing of a US$300m first lien credit agreement in connection with the acquisition of Texas and Louisiana oil and gas properties.
- Represented agent bank in connection with a US$800m credit facility to an investment grade company.
- Represented borrowers in connection with a US$500m hybrid structured finance and borrowing base credit facility relating to natural gas assets in West Virginia.
- Represented borrower (portfolio company of private equity firm) in connection with a US$500m borrowing base credit facility relating to oil and gas assets in Texas and related swap documentation.
- Represented portfolio company borrower in connection with a US$500m borrowing base credit facility relating to the acquisition of oil and gas and midstream assets in Michigan and related swap documentation.
- Represented public company borrower in the building products industry in connection with a US$325m revolving credit facility with term loan accordion.
- Represented the senior debt (20+ insurance companies) on the US$330m project financing of the new St. Louis Cardinals baseball stadium.
- Represented wind developer in the acquisition, development, financing, and sale of a 531MW+ multi-phase wind facility in Armstrong County, Texas.
- Represented renewable energy developer in the ongoing development and financing of over 20 projects for wind, solar, and battery storage in Texas totaling approximately 5000MW.
- Represented a Fortune 500 energy company as manufacturer, lessee, and/or guarantor in connection with the financing, unwinding, and/or divestiture of multiple series of sale leaseback transactions involving US$100+m in rooftop mounted solar equipment facilities with leasing affiliates of Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Fifth Third Bank, SunTrust, and PNC Bank.
- Represented Ricoh Americas Holdings in acquisition of mindSHIFT Technologies, a subsidiary of Best Buy Co., Inc.
Awards and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Banking and Finance Law (2016-2024)
- Top 50 Multicultural Lawyers, Texas Diversity Council (2019)
- Houstonia’s Top Lawyers, Houstonia Magazine (2016)
- Extraordinary Minorities in Texas Law, Texas Lawyer (2015)
- Texas “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers
- Banking (2004-2009)
- Best Lawyers Under 40, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (2004)
- Lawyer on the Fast Track, H-Texas Magazine (2004)
- Recipient of Texas Legal Diversity Award, Texas Diversity Council (2008)
- Honoree and keynote speaker at Youth Leadership Council Banquet (2010)
- Member of the State Bar of Texas
- Former chair of the board of directors for the Asian American Bar Association of Houston (2007-2010) and former president (2005)
- Former chair (2007-2012) and founding member (2007-2022) of the Asian American Bar Foundation, Inc.
- Board of governors for the National Conference of Vietnamese American Attorneys (2012-present)
- Member of the National Conference Committee for National Conference of Vietnamese American Attorneys (2012, 2015, 2019)
- Member of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (2003-present)
- Chair of the Selection Committee – Executive Committee of the Board
- Chair (2020-2022), chair-elect (2019), member of Executive Committee (2019-Present), chair of Nominating Committee (2023), chair of Selection Committee (2018), and senior fellow (Class XXXIV) (2014-2015)
- HAA director (Texas), Clubs and Shared Interest Groups, Harvard Alumni Association (worldwide association for Harvard alumni) (2018-2021)
- Former president, Harvard University Club of Houston (2007-2012)
- Member, board of directors (2004-present)
- Former co-chair, Harvard Club’s 375th Anniversary Fete (raise proceeds for various charitable causes) (May 2012) and Crimson Award Gala (2005)
- Former vice president, Programs (2004-2007)
- Graduate, Center for Houston’s Future Leadership Class (Fall 2008)
- Director, Houston Area Women’s Shelter (2015-2021)
- Founding member, vice chair, and board member, Houston Learning Network (f/k/a H2H Initiative) (2015-present)
- Legal counsel, Sister Cities of Houston (2015-2021)
- Member, Mayor’s International Affairs and Development Council, Asia-Australia (2001-2007)
- Former speaker and panelist, Annual Diversity & Leadership Conference, Texas Diversity Council, and various diversity and leadership events
- Director, Texas Dragon Boat Association (2011-2020)
- Competitive ballroom dancer, USA DanceSport
- Former national finalist in Amateur Championship American Style Ballroom (2003)
- Former Texas Amateur International Standard Champion
Presentations and Publications
- Interviewed, “Moving Away From Hatred,” KPRC 2 Houston Newsmakers (April 17, 2021)
- Foley article: Vu Interviewed About Rise in Anti-Asian Hate Crimes
- KPRC 2 article: Newsmakers EXTRA
- View entire program: Houston Newsmakers with Khambrel Marshall