Alexandra (Allie) Shalom is an associate and health care business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP, and a member of the firm’s Health Care Practice Group.
Allie's practice focuses on counseling clients in the health care, pharmacy, and medical device industries with respect to a wide range of regulatory and compliance matters. Her experience includes advising clients on Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement; internal investigations; managed care and value based payment arrangements; self-disclosures; federal and state fraud and abuse compliance; and state licensure issues. She also assists health care clients with a broad range of transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions and formation of friendly professional corporations.
Prior to joining Foley, Allie served as a summer associate in the firm’s Boston office, where she gained experience in the area of health care. Allie’s prior experience includes internships with both Health Law Advocates and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center’s Office of the General Counsel.
“Foley’s Telemedicine & Digital Health Industry Team has been recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers, which states: “Commentators describe the firm as ‘a market leader in telemedicine issues.’ ‘This is the Dream Team.’” (Florida, 2020).
Allie advises a variety of health care entities on a range of business, legal and regulatory issues affecting the telemedicine industry. She handles matters involving fraud and abuse, multi-state licensure, remote prescribing, and scope of practice issues. Selected, representative matters include:
- Worked with an emerging telemedicine company on strategic models for care delivery and revenue streams, practice of pharmacy restrictions and regulation, and state and federal fraud and abuse considerations.
- Advised a client on telemedicine practice standards under state laws, regulations and medical board policies across multiple states, including cross-state licensing issues and telemedicine prescribing of medications.
- Assisted a digital health pharmaceutical client to understand multistate DEA and pharmacy evaluation requirements for samples and coupons for controlled substances. The work instructed the company on how to deliver its services - including distribution of prescription drug samples - and the ability to launch marketing promotions through the use of coupons.
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers – Rising Stars® list (2020), which recognizes the top 2.5 percent of Massachusetts lawyers under 40
Allie is currently a member of the Anti-Defamation League New England Associate Board and in that role co-chairs the Engagement and Communications Committee. In addition, is on the executive committee of the Boston Bar Association’s New Lawyer’s Forum.
Allie was awarded the Krupp Leadership Award by the Anti-Defamation League New England, which is given to community members who demonstrate outstanding dedication and leadership on behalf of ADL. ADL New England Regional Director, Robert Trestan commented that:
“[this year’s recipients] represent Boston’s best and brightest future leaders… They are changing the world we live in today, and will continue to be ambassadors promoting equality and fair treatment for years to come."
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Panelist, “The "Regulatory Sprint:" Accelerating New Business Models for Telehealth and Remote Patient Monitoring,” ATA20 (June 22-26, 2020)
- Presenter, “Patient Brokering Prohibitions,” New England Alliance Winter Conference (January 16, 2020)
- Co-presenter, "Managed Care Contracting," Massachusetts Hospital Association (January 23, 2020)
- Co-author, “COVID-19: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Innovation Center Announces Flexibilities” (June 8, 2020)
- Presenter, “Long Term Care in a Digital World, Trends and Considerations,” New England Alliance Winter Conference (January 17, 2019)
- Co-presenter, “CMS’ New Proposed Telehealth and Virtual Care Services for 2020,” American Telemedicine Association (August 14, 2019)
- Co-presenter, “Behavioral Health in a Digital World, Trends and Considerations,” 2018 Boston Health IT Summit (August 8, 2018)
- Co-author, “The Relationship Between Enforcement and Compliance,” Health Care Compliance Legal Issues Manual (AHLA published on Lexis in 2019)
- Co-author, “Drug Pricing Transparency: Massachusetts' Proposed Reporting Requirements” Health Care Law Today (December 19, 2019)
- Author, “Drug Pricing: White House Announces Withdrawal of Proposed Changes to Anti-Kickback Safe Harbors” Health Care Law Today (July 23, 2019)
- Co-author, “Structuring and Operationalizing Value Based Payments: Legal Developments and Practical Tips,” Health Law Watch 2019 (May 31, 2019)
- Co-author, “A Round Up of Key Trends in Health Care Private Equity Investments” Health Care Law Today (May 8, 2019)
- Co-author, “Pharmacies: DOJ Wins TRO to immediately Suspend Registration for Controlled Substances” Health Care Law Today (March 28, 2019)
- Co-author, “The Good and the Bad of the New MassHealth Telemedicine Rule” Health Care Law Today (March 4, 2019)
- Co-author, “Revoking Controlled Substances Registrations: the DEA’s Weapon to Fight Abusive Prescribing and Dispensing” American Health Lawyer’s Association, The RAP Sheet (January 29, 2019)
- Co-author “CMS Proposes Changes to Lower Drug Prices,” Health Care Law Today (December 6, 2018)
- Co-author “Promoting Interoperability, Changes to the CMS EHR Incentive Programs,” Digital Health Legal (August 2, 2018)
- Co-author, “Key Considerations in Telepharmacy Compliance” Compliance Today (August, 2018)
- Co-author, “Digital Health Care Investors Summit Highlights Digital Health Expansion” Health Care Law Today (December 13, 2017)
- Author, “Massachusetts Proposed Legislation to Curb Health Care Costs by Regulating Hospital Reimbursement Rates,” Health Care Law Today (November 29, 2017)
- Author, “Saving on Health Case While Protecting the Planet: An Examination of Massachusetts’ Proposed Carbon Tax and its Impact on the Hospital Industry,” 44 No.2 B.C. Envtl. Aff. L. Rev. 455 (2017)
- Boston College Law School, (J.D., 2017)
- Executive notes editor, Environmental Affairs Law Review
- President, Health Law Society
- University of Rochester, (B.A., cum laude, 2013)
- Major in political science
- Minor in Jewish studies