Chase Brill obtains valuable and strategic patents that broadly cover clients’ products and provide substantial hurdles for competitors. He efficiently and cost-effectively manages global patent portfolios, including those of several Fortune 250 companies and some of the top U.S. patent filers in Japan. He vigilantly protects his clients against claims by competitors and trolls. He prides himself on immediately responding to his clients’ needs, and takes full advantage of Foley’s massive network of skilled and diverse attorneys and patent professionals to ensure that those working on his clients’ matters are the most qualified individuals for the job.
A partner in Foley & Lardner LLP’s Washington, D.C. office, vice chair of its Mechanical & Electromechanical Technologies Practice Group, and a member of its Electronics Practice Group, Chase counsels clients on patent prosecution, patent enforcement and licensing, defense of infringement allegations, due diligence investigations, product clearance, and litigation. He is also a member of the firm’s PTAB Trials Practice Group, and has substantial experience with complex U.S. Patent Office proceedings, including inter partes review trials, ex parte reexaminations, and reissues.
Chase counsels clients in a wide variety of technological fields, including semiconductor devices, medical devices, engine components, vehicle control systems, automotive aftertreatment systems, microfluidic devices, nanotechnology, printing devices, audiovisual systems, augmented reality devices, fuel cells, heating and air conditioning systems, lubricants, and low-friction assemblies.
- Manages the international patent portfolio of a Fortune 50 company in the medical device and health care space.
- Manages the international patent portfolio of a large business unit for Cummins, a Fortune 250 global leader in power technology.
- Represents several of the top 75 U.S. patent filers in Japan, including Nichia Corporation, a world-renowned manufacturer of light-emitting devices; Terumo Corporation, an esteemed manufacturer of medical devices; and Nissan Corporation.
- Invalidated a portfolio of patents asserted by a patent troll against a major manufacturer of fire, HVAC, and security equipment.
- Invalidated a portfolio of patents asserted by a patent troll against a U.S. professional sports organization.
- Member, ABA Section of Intellectual Property Law
- Committee Member, Ex Parte Appeals Committee, PTAB Bar Association
Presentations and Publications
- Co-editor, Foley & Lardner’s Manufacturing White Paper.
- Co-author, “The Latest Patent Developments in China: What Manufacturers Need to Know,” Manufacturing White Paper (July 6, 2022).
- Co-author, “U.S. Patent Counseling Update: USPTO Statistics, New Programs, and Federal Circuit Cases,” JIPA U.S. Intellectual Property Law Update Seminar Series (2022).
- Author, “Claim Interpretation at the Federal Circuit: Recent Cases to Remember When Drafting and Analyzing Claims” (2022).
- Author, “Options and Strategies after Receiving Final Office Actions” (2021).
- Author, “Advanced Course on the Duty of Disclosure, Information Disclosure Statements, and the Doctrine of Inequitable Conduct” (2021).
- Co-author, “Impact of Claim Interpretation Under 35 U.S.C. § 112(f) On Patent Enforcement and Validity Challenges” (2020).
- Author, “Strategies for Efficiently Responding to Office Actions” (2020).
- Co-author, “2019 Patent Year in Review” (2019).
- Author, “2018 AIA Proceedings Year in Review: AIA Proceedings Have Hit Their Stride, But Can the PTAB Keep Up?” (2018).
- Author, “PTAB Trials: Latest Developments and Interplay with District Court Litigation” (2018).