Justus Britt is a versatile real estate and project development lawyer with vast experience in renewable energy and infrastructure. He has a deep understanding of the full lifecycle of projects, encompassing everything from real estate acquisitions, project construction and financing, to divestiture. Bringing over a decade of legal and real-world experience, Justus is able to expertly navigate the commercial constraints of a deal and identify efficient and practical solutions for achieving his clients’ goals.
Justus is routinely called upon to help clients with a wide variety of real estate matters. Over the years, Justus has excelled at not only reviewing all the pertinent information to swiftly identify areas of potential concern, but also at finding balanced approaches to resolving or mitigating those items. His real estate practice includes advising clients with respect to all types of commercial and residential real estate transactions and issues, including acquisitions, dispositions, easements, titles, surveys, construction, lending and finance, development, and leasing. Drafting and reviewing real property documents, as well as overseeing all real estate aspects of a deal, have become second nature to Justus.
With a primary concentration on solar, wind, hydrogen, biogas, and energy storage transactions, Justus also has a passion for helping clients turn projects from a mere concept or a strategy to a positive (and profitable) outcome. Justus regularly negotiates equipment supply, EPC (engineering, procurement, and construction, and O&M (operations and maintenance) agreements. Justus’ experience with construction and term debt financings, partnership flips, and sale/leasebacks, as well as his acquisition experience (including leading due diligence efforts and negotiating stock, membership, and asset purchase agreements, as well as joint venture agreements) allows Justus to see his clients’ “big picture” goals and to work side-by-side with his clients at every stage of project development.
Clients choose Justus for his strategic, business-minded approach to navigating a variety of unique and complex issues. Known for his friendly demeanor and ability to work with just about anyone, Justus works well with everyone from major corporations and financial institutions to one or two-person “mom and pop” outfits, and everyone in between.
“Unlike many other attorneys, Justus not only addressed my legal issues, but also took the extra step to provide practical/commercial guidance on how to deal with the issue.”
- Negotiated EPC Agreement, Supply Agreements, and O&M Agreement for a 300MW solar project in California
- Represented a developer in the construction and financing of a 20MW utility solar project located in California that included bi-facial panel technology
- Represent client in the negotiation of virtual power purchase agreement
- Represented an appliance manufacturer and distributor in the leasing of warehouse and distribution properties across the United States
- Oversee all real estate matters related to tax equity investment in portfolio of approximately 25 solar and solar+storage projects
- Advise lender with respect to all real estate matters for mezzanine financing transaction
- Advised client in acquisition of an approximately 265 MWdc solar project in Texas
- Advise client with respect to two early stage solar projects in Illinois
Awards and Recognition
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch – Real Estate Law (2023-2024)
- Southern California Super Lawyers – Rising Stars® lists (2014-2019)