Michael Calabrese is a corporate lawyer providing counsel to institutional investors and government agencies, particularly pension funds. He is a partner in the firm’s Fund Formation & Investment Management Practice, regularly counseling both governmental clients and private sector clients who have dealings with the public sector, helping them navigate challenges specific to the public sector.
Prior to joining Foley, Michael was the chief counsel for San Bernardino County Employees Retirement Association, where he served as the general counsel to the more than 30,000-member pension system. He also served as the chief deputy county counsel and pension fund general counsel for the County of Merced, and as chief deputy city attorney for the City of San Diego. He gained experience as an associate attorney at three law firms in California and Michigan after graduating from law school.
Michael leverages his extensive experience as a public servant and in-house counsel for pension funds and other government agencies to bring these types of clients a unique perspective. Because he lived the duties of a public official and pension fund fiduciary for almost a decade, he understands the day-to-day needs, operations, and dynamics of a public pension fund to a depth that does not come from merely knowing the law or providing outside advice and services. In addition, because of his years as a public official, he has learned the operational, governance, and legal workings of government agencies with a particular breadth and depth.
Awards and Recognition
- Foley & Lardner Pro Bono Champion, 2022
- American Bar Association
- California State Bar
- National Association of Public Pension Attorneys (NAPPA)
- State Association of County Retirement Systems (SACRS)
Presentations and Publications
- Quoted, “Wall Street fights back against new SEC reforms in scathing lawsuit,” The Hill, September 1, 2023
- Presenter, “Private Market Investments,” interview to discuss private market investments. (December 7, 2022)
- Co-Author, “A Summary of Certain Recent Enforcement and Non-Enforcement Actions” Investment Management Update (April 4, 2019)
- Co-Author, “Strategic Relationship Agreements: Better Returns through Better Relationships, Journal of Securities Operations & Custody, Volume 12, Number 3 (February 4, 2020)
- Frequent speaker at various national and regional conferences for public pension attorneys, including NAPPA, CalAPRS, and SACRS.