Michael (Mick) Hatch is a real estate lawyer practicing extensively in the areas of real estate development, finance, restructuring and workouts, brownfields and other urban redevelopment, public-private partnerships, investment analysis and syndication, and historic rehabilitation. He is a partner in the firm’s national Real Estate Practice, which he chaired from 1989 to 2006. He has been with the real estate group in the Milwaukee office since his law school graduation.
Mick has been lead counsel for several billion dollars of real estate transactions, including Milwaukee Center, East Point Commons, The North End, University Club Tower, Cathedral Place, the Harley-Davidson Museum, The Kenilworth Project, Bader Philanthropies Global Headquarters, the North American Headquarters of Seda International Packaging, the Rite-Hite Global Headquarters, the Fiserv Global Headquarters, the Firstar Center (n/k/a U.S. Bank Center), and Glanworth Gardens, as well as special counsel for the development of Ballpark Commons, for development of the 333 North Water Street Apartment Tower, for the historic rehabilitation of Milwaukee Soldiers Home, and for Milwaukee 7 in its successful effort to bring Microsoft to Wisconsin to develop a multibillion-dollar data center.
He has also played a leading role in numerous nonprofits, including Menomonee Valley Partners, Inc., a public-private partnership working to redevelop the largest brownfield in Wisconsin, and Near West Side Partners, Inc., another public-private partnership dedicated to revitalizing the seven neighborhoods to the north of the Menomonee Valley.
Awards and Recognition
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Real Estate Law (since 1987)
- Named 2010 Milwaukee Real Estate “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers Magazine (Based on exhaustive peer-review surveys, attorneys honored as “Lawyers of the Year” have received particularly high ratings for their abilities, professionalism, and integrity)
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers
- Recognized in Who’s Who in American Law
- Selected for inclusion in the Wisconsin Super Lawyers lists (since 2005)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 for his work in real estate (since 2005)
- Named by the Wisconsin Law Journal as a:
- 2023 Lifetime Achievement Honoree
- 2012 Leader in the Law
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys
- Urban Land Institute
- National Multi Housing Council
- Commercial Association of Realtors of Wisconsin
- American, New York, Wisconsin, and Milwaukee Bar Associations