Shane J. Moses is of counsel with Foley & Lardner LLP and a member of the firm’s Bankruptcy & Business Reorganizations Practice.
Shane is a bankruptcy and commercial attorney with a practice that comprises representing clients in all aspects of corporate reorganizations in and out of bankruptcy. He frequently represents corporate debtors, creditor and equity committees, bankruptcy trustees, creditors, and other constituents in complex and high-stakes company situations. In addition, he has substantial experience representing both defendants and plaintiffs in litigation of director and officer liability claims in the bankruptcy context. Shane applies a practical, solution-oriented approach to difficult circumstances taking into account both the legal framework, and the business realities of the situation to reach the best result for his clients.
Prior to Foley, Shane obtained extensive litigation experience involving primarily commercial disputes, including fraud claims, lending disputes, director and officer liability claims, and other matters as well as broad bankruptcy experience, including Chapter 11 reorganizations, trustee representations, and individual debtor cases.
- Lead attorney in defense and successful mediation of multi-million dollar D&O claims against the former CEO and CFO of a substantial modular home company in a complex fraud and misrepresentation case brought by a lender.
- Represent a leading provider of streaming film and television content in multiple disputes and bankruptcy cases involving resolution of complex IP license issues, including second-chair counsel for trial in New York Bankruptcy Court regarding license agreement dispute.
- Lead attorney in the successful reorganization of a substantial Sonoma County winery; responsible for all aspects of the reorganization, including extensive motion practice and obtaining confirmation of Chapter 11 plan.
- Managed Chapter 11 bankruptcy of an operating 120 room Northern California hotel and restaurant as counsel for bankruptcy trustee client, including negotiating and documenting the sale of all assets.
- Represented San Francisco jazz club and restaurant in Chapter 11, including advising management regarding realistic business outcomes, handling contentious multi-party negotiations for sale of business to minority partner, drafting sale contact, and negotiating contract terms with buyer’s counsel.
Awards and Recognition
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the practice area of Bankruptcy/Restructuring (2023)
- Named a Bay Area Rising Star by Super Lawyers from 2015-2018
- Bar Association of San Francisco: Chair of Commercial Law & Bankruptcy Section, 2016
Presentations and Publications
- Attorneys’ Fees in Bankruptcy: Eight Years After Travelers, Bar Association of San Francisco. May 12, 2015
- Relatively Recent Developments in Fraudulent Transfer Law, Bar Association of San Francisco. June 19, 2014
- Black Swans in Bankruptcy: Foreseeable Issues that Surprise, Bar Association of San Francisco. July 9, 2013