Michael Newman is a partner and business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. He is the managing partner of the firm’s Dallas office.
Michael’s practice is focused primarily on mergers and acquisitions, general corporate matters, partnerships and joint ventures, public and private securities offerings, employment, non-compete and trade secret issues, executive employment and termination agreements, license agreements, and the drafting and negotiation of all types of contracts and corporate documents. He is a member of the firm’s Transactions Practice Group as well as the Sports Industry Team.
During his tenure with Gardere Wynne Sewell, Michael served on the firm’s board of directors and was the co-chair of the firm’s Corporate Practice. In addition, he served on the firm’s Recruiting Committee, including five years as the firm’s hiring partner. He also served on the firm’s Steering Committee for the annual MLK Jr. Oratory Competition.
Michael counsels public and private companies on the full range of corporate matters. Michael negotiates every aspect of merger and acquisition transactions, joint ventures, and other business arrangements on behalf of clients. He frequently assists clients in negotiating, drafting, and creating various operational documents, including stock purchase, asset purchase and merger documents, employment and non-compete agreements, licensing, strategic alliance and joint venture agreements, employee termination agreements, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, and leases.
Michael is often engaged by clients (and the firm’s litigators) to negotiate the resolution of challenging business disputes and business divorces, both prior to and during the pendency of litigation. Michael has been successful in resolving several business disputes related to family businesses (including succession-related disputes) and has also negotiated multiple law firm separations.
His general representation of business enterprises includes serving in an outside general counsel role to more than 50 U.S.-based companies and U.S. and foreign investors who are seeking business opportunities in Texas and Latin America. Michael’s primary source of new business is through word-of-mouth from his existing and loyal client base. His clients appreciate his common sense approach to the management of transactions and disputes of all sizes and is known for maintaining his sense of humor – even under the most trying of circumstances. Michael enjoys educating his clients as they work together on a transaction. He explores creative options for getting a deal done while ensuring that the terms are in line with his client’s goals and expectations.
In recent years, a substantial portion of Michael’s practice has involved the representation of private equity firms and independent sponsors and their portfolio companies, including with respect to mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and manufacturing, purchasing, distribution and supply agreements. Michael has also represented AT&T in connection with multiple tender offers and exchange offers, including a recent exchange offer in connection with AT&T’s acquisition of Time Warner.
Awards and Recognition
Michael is consistently recognized by his peers as one of the top corporate and M&A lawyers in the state of Texas, including the following:
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of:
- Corporate Law (2021-2024)
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2023-2024)
- Recognized, region’s most influential business leaders in North Texas, D CEO’s Dallas 500 (2019, 2020)
- Recognized, Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine
- Corporate Law: General (2015-2020)
- Selected for inclusion to the Texas Super Lawyers® list in the fields of Mergers & Acquisitions (2004, 2013-2020) and Securities & Corporate Finance (2004, 2013)
- Recognized, Best Lawyers in Dallas Under 40, D Magazine (2004, 2006)
- Selected to the Texas Rising Stars list in the fields of Mergers & Acquisitions (2004) and Securities & Corporate Finance (2004)
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Member of the Board of Directors, The Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas
- Member, Regional Board, Anti-Defamation League
- Former Member of the Board of Directors, Ann and Nate Levine Academy
- Former Member of the Board of Directors, The Jewish Community Center of Dallas
- Former Member of the Board of Trustees, The Wilson Foundation
- Graduate, Dallas Regional Chamber®, Leadership Dallas (2005)
- Former Board Member, The Texas Law Review Association
- Former Member of the Board of Directors, Dallas International School
- Former Leadership, Aspen / Pitkin County Boarding Kennel and Animal Shelter
- Former Member, Alumni Board, St. Mark’s School of Texas